Baby Muscovies!!! and mama...(UPDATED PICS ON PAGE 2!!)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BarefootMom, Jun 27, 2011.

1. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    So she has hatched out 20--19 have survived so far. This picture was taken yesterday when they were still hatching. I can't believe that this many hatched!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

she has her nest in a large igloo dog house inside the chicken pen- I did have chicken nest boxes in there but when I discovered her laying eggs behind the nest boxes I removed the boxes. I can't believe how long it took for these little guys to hatch! Sure it takes 40 days, but when you are actually waiting on them to hatch it takes forever!! I will try to get better pictures soon. My camera battery was dying so these pics above are not that great.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  2. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    So cute! Congrats!!!!!!!

3. ruffledfeathers1234

ruffledfeathers1234 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Athens, GA
    Congrats on the hatch [​IMG] [​IMG] I can't wait until my muscovys start laying so that I can hatch some of them.

4. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

precious![​IMG]
    muscovies are GREAT mothers ...and prolific too...LOL

5. MrsKemmerlin

MrsKemmerlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Round O, SC
    Congrats! They are soo cute! [​IMG]

6. lovin my birds

lovin my birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    Awe how adorable! Congrats on so many babies. I cant wait till my babies hatch. I know how you feel when you say it takes forever. I can hardly stand it. I am out there all the time checking on her waiting to here the peep peep. I dont know exactly when she started sitting on them. Lol!

7. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:I agree. VERY prolific!

8. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri

Out of 5 broodies this is the only one with a successful hatch worth mentioning! The first broody- something got her and all of her eggs; the second same thing; the third hatched 2 ducklings out of about 30 eggs- 1 drowned in the pool and then I sold mama and baby and then later found out that they both had been killed by a german shepherd; the fourth hatched 1 duckling out of 12 eggs and just gave up on it- sadly I didn't realize this until it got into the turkey pen looking for mama and was killed; and now we have the 5th. I hope her ducklings are mostly hens, since I have lost so many hens this spring. Muscovies sell really well around here- everyone wants them it seems.

9. will p.

will p. New Egg

Apr 24, 2011
    i have a female that looks exactly like yours! i bought her at the auction with 7 babys a year ago, but she didnt hatch any this spring because i didnt have a male [​IMG]

10. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

Out of 5 broodies this is the only one with a successful hatch worth mentioning! The first broody- something got her and all of her eggs; the second same thing; the third hatched 2 ducklings out of about 30 eggs- 1 drowned in the pool and then I sold mama and baby and then later found out that they both had been killed by a german shepherd; the fourth hatched 1 duckling out of 12 eggs and just gave up on it- sadly I didn't realize this until it got into the turkey pen looking for mama and was killed; and now we have the 5th. I hope her ducklings are mostly hens, since I have lost so many hens this spring. Muscovies sell really well around here- everyone wants them it seems.

Awwww, so sorry to hear about all of the tragedies. My heart goes out to you. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by