Baby Muscovies Color

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by NamahKatana, Feb 6, 2012.

1. NamahKatana

NamahKatana Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Oregon
    hey guys i was wondering if there is anyway to tell what color a Muscovy is goning to turn out. We want to get a large white duck/drake and there are a bunch of Muscovy babies for sale in my area. I'v had Muscovys before but don't know a whole lot about colors.

2. ian4379

ian4379 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Australia
    white muscovy ducklings will be yellow with yellow legs and a pink beak. they will have no colour on the tails or any dark colour underneath the yellow duckling down or any dark colouring on the legs.

are the ducklings from a breeder or a shop? the breeder should be able to tell you what colour they are if it is from one.

3. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Our white Scovy girls were solid yellow, the boy had (and still does have) black on his head.

4. NamahKatana

NamahKatana Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Oregon
    ok and its just a "hobby breeder"

5. coonhoundmama87

coonhoundmama87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2011
    Wisconsin

^^This is pretty much what I was going to say. If they do have a little bit of a blackish color to any areas it's going to turn into black feathers.

And btw ian4379 your profile picture is freakin adorable!! I can't wait til spring and I have little babies again!

6. Gatorpit

Gatorpit Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2012
    Ditto to the above. Seems that for the most part, muscovy ducklings stay the same color they are as adults. Whatever parts are yellow on a duckling will be white on a duck, whatever parts are black/brown on a duckling will be black/brown on a duck. Unlike other breeds/species, muscovy ducklings have no uniform color pattern that changes as they mature.

7. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    I'll try to help you out but I only have a few pics for you.
    First: Any that look like this will be black. One of these turned out black with a white head and neck, one solid black, and one black pied.
    [​IMG]

Next we have the chocolate babies. One turned out chocolate pied, the other two are solid chocolate (dark brown).
    [​IMG]

These 2 are lavender. Noticed the bills are dark gray in color, and you can very lightly see that they aren't quite solid white. (I attached a pic of a juvenile lavender drake for you too)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

And these two ended up buff. If you look at them they have pink bills. That's the only way I could tell them apart from the lavenders.
    [​IMG]

If you find some that are white with the tips of their tails colored, those will be barred (the color of their tail determines the color their feathering will be.)
    I also have blue and blue fawn, but I can't seem to find any pictures of them. When they are little, they are colored very similar to the chocolates (at lease that's what I've found.)

I hope this helps at least a little!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by