baby muscovies

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jrobertson, Jun 21, 2010.

1. jrobertson

jrobertson Robertson's Rare Poultry

Apr 24, 2010
    NW Alabama
    ok. so heres what happened. about one month ago my muscovy drake was killed by a dog who got off a chain. i had two hens at the time. about two weeks after the drake was killed, one of the hens dies unexpectedly. the last hen had been making herself scarce(they free range). and i figured it was because of the dog thing and was kinda traumatized. anyway we saw her the other day at the pond bathing but just for a few minutes and then she was gone. today she strolls up with 17 ducklings in pursuit. hows that for pulling it off. anyway, since she free ranges and predators are abundant i took the ducklings from her and placed them in one of the empty brooders. my question is, will the ducklings fare well raised by me the same way other ducklings that are artifically incubated do? or will the fact that they may have imprinted on their mother affect them at all? just curious. and by the way it looks like 7 black and white, 7 white, and 3 blues. thanks.

2. Miss Red

Miss Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Trinity, Texas
    I think your rather lucky the drake did a wonderful job with his ladies I'm sure.

We need pictures! I'm no help just thought I'd say good luck

3. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

I think they'll be fine. Mom will have more of an issue than the babies will, trust me. Mama ducks will call and cry and fuss for their babies for a couple days. You dont have an outdoor pen you could keep them together in?

Anyway, brooding them yourself will allow you to handle them and possibly tame them down some, which is near impossible with a good muscovy mama. My muscovy mama has 8 babies that are now 4 days old and she and the babies have all decided to have nothing to do with me as of yesterday the babies scatter for their favorite hiding places when I come down (they free range).

Anyway, good luck!

4. jrobertson

jrobertson Robertson's Rare Poultry

Apr 24, 2010
    NW Alabama
    well, as of a few moments ago, they were all at the feeders and waterers. i think they are settling in nicely. a already had about 10 younger muscovy ducklings coming up to replace my stock. these will help nicely. i'll try and post some pics as soon as i figure out how. any thoughts? so busy with the young ducks for next years breeders. 11 different breeds so far. we buy lots and lots or starter feed. 150+ lbs a week. and thats just for young birds. thanks for the input.

5. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Once they are older and momma Scovy goes back to breeding and setting up a new clutch, Scovies tend to gravitate towards their Keepers in spite of the fact that they were brooded by momma duck. Mine may not want to be cuddled but they know where the snacks, fresh water, etc. come fm. They watch momma Scovy ask for treats, take her turn, jump up for the goody & wag her tail in satisfaction which in turn elicits another treat fm yours truly. Yes, they do learn WE have the goodies! [​IMG] We become their surrogate momma when momma duck is not interested any longer in being there for them. Scovies are very personable which is why they endear themselves to people. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by