Baby Muscovies

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuckWrangler16, Oct 14, 2011.

1. DuckWrangler16

DuckWrangler16 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2011
    I had a nest of muscovies hatch yesterday. The weather was not great so the hen ended up forgetting two in her nest. Ive got them in a small bucket with a light for heat. So my question is does anyone know any tricks to get them to eat and drink? Storeys Guide says to put fine grass on it. Other than that ive got no other ideas on how to start them on food. [​IMG]

2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Are there more ducklings? Can you try to sneak them back under mom? That would be easiest.

Otherwise, show them the water by dipping their beaks in and similar with food. You don't need to add anything to the food. Just starter. You can try wetting it and that may interest them.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  3. DuckWrangler16

Sep 1, 2011
    Ya theres 5 with the hen but i dont think she is really interested with them besides id love the expiernce of hand raising them

4. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Okay. Again, show them the water. Its easier to have the feed either just on the floor or in a low dish so they can find it. Make sure to keep them warm and dry. I'd get them a box or something and hang the light above. Make sure there are areas they can get away from or go to the heat. Storeys guide explains this well. They need something with traction for flooring. Puppy peepee pads work well. Good luck

5. fmizula

fmizula Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    with my baby chicks i dipped their beaks in the water and they got it right away. i have never had newborn ducklings though. they must be soo cute!! have a pics to share?

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  7. DuckWrangler16

Sep 1, 2011
    Thank you for your help. I guess they have figured it out because they really started eating and drinking today. If you would like pictures i will get you some there very cute.[​IMG]

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    We love pics, especially of Muscovy ducklings my favorites.. [​IMG]

9. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Pics should be a requirement. [​IMG]

10. animalsRawesome

animalsRawesome Chillin' With My Peeps