Baby Muscovies

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by NamahKatana, Feb 6, 2012.

1. NamahKatana

NamahKatana Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Oregon
    hey guys i was wondering if there is anyway to tell what color a Muscovy is goning to turn out. We want to get a large white duck/drake and there are a bunch of Muscovy babies for sale in my area. I'v had Muscovys before but don't know a whole lot about colors.

2. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Our white ones were pure yellow as ducklings. I also have a mostly black one and she was kinda brown as a baby. Our black and white one was yellow with brownish patches as a baby.

Here are some pics of black and white muscovies as babies. You will want to look for solid yellow babies for the best chance of them being white although it might not be a guarantee.

[​IMG]

3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Muscovies change even after they are fully feathered. Here is an example of my muscovy duck at a little over the 2 month mark (late November 2011) [​IMG] And here she is as of two days ago: [​IMG] She lost almost all of the grey on her head. Didn't even notice her losing any feathers. [​IMG] [​IMG] I'm really happy she kept her bright blue eyes! :love

4. Dunappy

Dunappy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2012
    All of mine are solid white with maybe a tiny spot of black on the head. When they are babies, they are yellow with the tiny black spots. I want to find some of the different colored ones, but so far locally all I've been able to find is white ones.

5. NativeBeauty

NativeBeauty Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Battle Creek, Michigan
    Look for pale pink bills and clay colored eyes, these tend to grow into duclair pieds, silvers or whites. Good luck [​IMG]

6. NativeBeauty

NativeBeauty Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Battle Creek, Michigan
    I currently have a black drake duckling, a blue ripple drake duckling and two red mottled hen ducklings....and waiting for the next hatch of fifteen.....the colors are the best part of the wait. If you wait for the pin feathers to arrive on the tails, you can begin to distinguish color there too, although our blue was a happy surprise [​IMG]as I thought he'd be a silver grey instead.

7. purplepembroke

purplepembroke New Egg

Jun 16, 2012
    I agree with lookin for a pale bill

8. bornfree

bornfree Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2015
    Rhode Island
    I have three they are alll white were pure yellow when babies except one who had a black spot between the eyes he still turned out to be alll white he/she is lovable, loves to cudle and attentiin it hisses which for awhile there I tjought it was a gese, the other two are pure white as well meet my ducks Tum tum in the midle ,nibles on his right and snaper the one with head feathers In mohaw style he/she is mad lol[​IMG] I still not surewho is male and who is female ive read that the hugebones tend to be males also that the males tend to show mohawks so im guessing I have one femal im still jot sure

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by