Baby only sucking on one side.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by adorable, Mar 5, 2009.

1. adorable

adorable Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    The goat has one baby. The baby is only sucking on one side only. I have noticed that the other side is b igger and harder than the other side. I tried to get the baby to suck on the other side. But that is no way. I had to struggle with the mother so i can start milking the other side. When i did that. I notice the plug was still there. She really hates me doing this. Will the baby eventually use the other side also. ??Or do i have to milk that side all the time?I know lately have been having lots of questions. But i am new and i have learned alot from this great forum. [​IMG]

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Ask away.. that is what everyone is here for. Also spend some time using the Search feature at the top of the page.. that will give you hours of great reading and info.

You will need to milk out the side that the kid is not nursing on. Then you will want to encourage the kid to nurse on that side also. You may have to hold momma for a while before she lets the kid nurse on that side and the kid may just not like that side (they are picky sometimes - go figure). If the kid doesn't regularly nurse both sides then you will have to regularly milk that side.

3. adorable

adorable Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    ok.. Thanks chirpy

4. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    My two kids would only nurse on one side for the first three weeks. I milked the other side, but now they have finally realised that they can eat on either side [​IMG] Her colostrum was really thick on that side and kept almost blocking her teat. I think they gave up on it after the first couple of days.

5. Broke Down Ranch

Broke Down Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Texas
    If the kid doesn't nurse on one side it will definitely dry up - just ask my 1st timer "ol' One-Teat".....

If I had noticed he was only nursing one side I would have milked the other to keep it going but you know what they say about hindsight.....

6. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    You need to keep that other side milked out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by