Baby opossum

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by joyce987, Sep 4, 2016.

1. joyce987

joyce987 New Egg

Sep 4, 2016
    We found a dead mama opossum with only two babies alive. Their eyes are open, they don't seem injured, and they are 3 inches long at the most not including the tail. They don't seem to pee or poop on their own I haven't seen them do it when I try to stimulate them either. Right now I have been using pedialite and water and also 1 part puppy formula that starts with an e I can't remember the name, 1.5 parts water and 1/3 part heavy whipping cream. They aren't used to it yet they will lick it up a little bit but not much. Is that normal? What can I do to get them to eat? Also how much and how often should each one be eating? Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

2. joyce987

joyce987 New Egg

Sep 4, 2016
    Also if anyone knows when we Need to take them in to get their shots that'd be great to know. And if we need a permit to have them in the state of Florida

3. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    If you poke around the internet you should be able to find what to feed them. I have no idea what you would get them shots for. I don't know if you need a permit to keep them or not. Whenever I have had wild animals I just kept my mouth shut and went on my merry way. Not saying you should do that.

4. chrissym

chrissym New Egg

Feb 2, 2007
    west palm beach, fl
    Opossums are not the easiest to rehab, they need to eat every 2 hours at that size. Even at night. You do need a class III wildlife permit in Florida. Your best bet is to find a local wildlife rehabilitator to help you out.

5. joyce987

joyce987 New Egg

Sep 4, 2016
    I got them to eat out of a bowl and they love it they've been going to the bathroom Now. How much should they be eating

6. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Google "raising orphan opossums" or something similar and you should find information on how much they should be eating. I did look and there is information to be found. Once you get them over the hump care should be easy. I had an opossum for several months until someone left a door open and it wandered out. Since they are omnivores, they are easy to care for. Mine was older than yours when I got it. I fed it dog food and various vegetables.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by