baby peep hurt by dog

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cbarish, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Cbarish

Cbarish Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2016
    baby peep hurt by dog, wasn't walking at first but quickly began showing signs of improvement. First day standing and a little wobbly, Second day standing and walking, Third day really good. When it first happened I put in with hen that hatched it and she immediately began pecking and stomping on it. I rescued and have kept with me. Any advise on getting it back with the hem and its sibling? Peep will be 1 week old tomorrow

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Most hens bond rapidly with their chicks right after hatching. After that they tend to regard all others as 'strangers' and will peck at and even kill them. You can try to see if she will accept the chick, but you may have to raise it by itself.

3. Cbarish

Jul 7, 2016
    Thank you so much for your rapid response. I appreciate the advise!

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If the hen will not accept the chick, you might place a mirror by it for company.

5. Cbarish

Jul 7, 2016
    Great! I was thinking that. I will check that out. It is very enjoyable spending time with the peep. I didn't realize they were so inquisitive :)

6. Cbarish

Jul 7, 2016
    I did give the peep to mother hen today, she as fine with that! Now The hen and baby chicks are together again and doing wonderful[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] .:yiipchick

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by