Baby Pekins in insulated coop?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by moms Tree, Dec 11, 2013.

1. moms Tree

moms Tree Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2013
    My Pekin ducklings will be 4 weeks old this weekend... I'd really like to put them in their duck house, but not sure if it's warm enough. I live in Kansas, and the temp has been between freezing at night, and high of 20's and 30's in the day. Inside the duck house, there is a deep layer of straw on the floor, R13 insulation in the walls, and R30 insulation in the drop ceiling. They also have a heat light. Is this enough to keep them warm? Or do I need to wait until they are fully feathered? Included is a pic of the outside of the duck house.
    [​IMG]

2. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    Darling house, sounds extremely well constructed. I would wait until your ducklings are fully feathered.

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Gosh that is cute! um, tricky 4wks is awfully young for those temps without a mama, mind you i had a fool set a nest here in Feb and hatch out in March of this past year, i did add a heatlamp as poor mama was chilling but otherwise those kids have turned to happy, healthy active boys and girl.

4. Avlana

Avlana Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Love, love love the duck house [​IMG] I agree with waiting for them to feather out. That is a bit cold to be outside in, for 4 weekers. But maybe see what the temp of the coop is with the heat lamp? See what temp it holds?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by