Baby Pigeon with Air in his crop! HELP!

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by maggiemaybe, Jul 25, 2014.

1. maggiemaybe

maggiemaybe New Egg

Jul 25, 2014
    Paradise ca
    Could use some advice here. I'm hand raising a baby about 2 weeks old. He got an air bubble in his crop a few days ago. Trying to figure out how to help him. I tried popping the bubble. EEEE! My baby! Thats whatI read to do. It didnt seem to help and freaked me out! I've been gently massaging the air out, seems to be keeping him alive but doesn't seem to make it better by the next feeding. Anyone have this problem, ideas, thoughts? I'm brand new to Pigeons. Thanks y'all!

2. Kneedles

Kneedles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2014
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Would trying to straighten out its neck and softly pushing on the lump help?

3. maggiemaybe

maggiemaybe New Egg

Jul 25, 2014
    Paradise ca
    Thats what I've been doing. : ) Though it gets the air out and keeping him alive, the air doesn't seem to be going away. I think it all most been a week now. I'm worried by pushing out the air its not curing him and prolonging the problem. But, otherwise he seems very healthy. Lots of energy, and noticeably growing everyday. Well, that I can tell. Never had pigeon baby before. Thank you!

1 person likes this.
  4. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    I had rear a lot of pigeons and find the best way to get the air out is at feeding time when the crop is empty of food.

Before you start to feed him, hold his beak between 2 fingers and gently pull his head up straight so his neck is right out. Then gently massage his crop and 'squeeze' out the air.

Then do not feed him for at least 20 mins, to give him time to recover.

How are you feeding him? Perhaps he is getting air into his crop when he is eating? I find the plastic bag method the best.. and if you are using a syringe and tube, make sure the tube is full of the feed and there are no air pockets in the tube or the syringe.

Is the crop emptying of all food before you feed him? Never feed if there is food left in there.

If the air is building up between feedings then there is something wrong with his crop.

To help that use some baby food apple sauce.. or make some apple sauce yourself.. and give one feeding of that. It help to restore the crop to the proper PH. You can add some apple sauce to his normal feed for a few feeds after that to help it not come back.

Hope this helps!

5. jak2002003

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    Forgot to mention.....

Make sure he is warm enough too. You may have to supply extra heat if he does not have many feathers.

Make sure the feed is WARM too. Cold feed will chill the crop and lead to problems. Make sure it not too hot either.. don't want to burn him!

6. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    I was feeding my hand raised squabs with basically a hypodermic needle (with the needle part removed and the hole mad a bit larger). I found this did put air in his crop as well. That being said it would just burp it up on it's own in a few minutes (some times it took hours in the odd case).

Here are a couple links that shows one method of hand feeding their are others if you explore You Tube:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  7. maggiemaybe

maggiemaybe New Egg

Jul 25, 2014
    Paradise ca
    That was incredibly helpful Jak2002003! To be honest I started off with not the best advice, its easy she said, don't worry to much. Then, after he didnt seem right I did my own research. He wasnt as warm as he should have been, nether was the food. I assume thats what led to all this. And I know I overfed on accident a couple times. I changed everything last week. I mixed apple sause w his lunch. By dinner is crop was completely full, but he acted incredibly hungry. I didnt feed him, I hope that was the right thing to do. I'm going to try just apple sause for his breakfast. My feeling is that the slow crop from being to cold and over fed has to do w the air build up. I think his crop might need the crop bra? Has anyone tried that? Anyway thank you again, I feel awful, I should have done my own research from the start and avoided all this. Thank you Hocum Coco! I will take a look at the videos. : )

8. maggiemaybe

maggiemaybe New Egg

Jul 25, 2014
    Paradise ca
    Update! The little one seems active and happy. Little to no air. But he still has a slow crop : (. It doesnt seem to be sour. He's growing fast and very chipper. Apple cider vinegar next?

1 person likes this.
  9. jak2002003

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    great that he is doing well.

You could try to ACV .. but you only need a few drops as its very strong.

What are you feeding him? Perhaps the food is hard to digest?

10. maggiemaybe

maggiemaybe New Egg

Jul 25, 2014
    Paradise ca
    He is eating Kaytee exact. He is 21 days now and dont know if I should start him solids yet with his digestion being so slow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by