Baby pigeons-humane society

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickiepoo, Apr 24, 2008.

1. chickiepoo

chickiepoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2007
    coastal South Carolina
    I am going right now to pick up two baby pigeons from the local humane society. (My son is on their call list) I will do a web search when I get home, but can anyone tell my anything about what to feed/how to care for baby pigeons?

Thank-you Thank-you!

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    If they are fresh babies, they are typically fed by their mothers. I am not very familiar with them, but maybe Foys Pigeon could help. They have a web site and I'm sure they sell a substitute feed.
    http://www.foyspigeonsupplies.com/

Jody

3. chickiepoo

Jun 28, 2007
    coastal South Carolina
    Thanks for the help. I appreciate it! Apparently this happens more often than I thought. The lady at the Humane Society had more advice than I was expecting to get, actually.

4. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    Trust me, after this, your gunna wanna get into the pigeon hobby and your gunna build a loft. Register on a pigeon forum take the pigeons to show, make money off them, get more pigeons, and so on. -At least thats what happend to me [​IMG]

5. chickiepoo

Jun 28, 2007
    coastal South Carolina
    Ohhh, Boy! What kind of pigeons do you have? Like I would know the difference.
    The lady at the Humane Society says that this happens all the time. She'll be getting orphan pigeons all summer! I understand they are really sweet when they get grown and usually don't leave even if they are released.
    My son, (who is on their call list-and lives with me again) thinks that when they can walk and have feathers that we can put them with the small chicks. I have one broody due to hatch the first of the week, and some 3 1/2 and 4 1/2 week old chicks I am letting out to range during the day now. Have you tried mixing them in like that?
    Right now they are just skin, down and pinfeathers. They are using their legs better but not standing at all. They eat, sleep, and poop. Which is good.

6. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
  7. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    Hi-
    I have a tip- If you can, get a pill bottle or similar shaped bottle, and fill it with feed, then cover the top with Elasticon, or Vetwrap, and cut a slit right in the middle. You know how pigeons eat from the parent bird? Tip that bottle up and stick their beak right into that slit...tap it a couple times with your finger and they should start eating.

I do wildlife rehab, and have had a few pigeons. That method has worked the best for me.

Good luck.

8. chickiepoo

Jun 28, 2007
    coastal South Carolina
    Thanks for the tip. That does sound like it would mimic the feeding from the parent birds well. Right now I am doing what the woman at the HS told me she was doing, which is putting the feed in a styrofoam cup and poking a hole in it above the feed. They stick their beaks in the hole and eat it up. It was difficult to get going at first, but now we have the hang of it. At least they are getting fed and I can tell they are getting stronger and definitely pooping. But it is definitely messy. And therefore somewhat wasteful. So, I am working on neater. I'll try to find some of the Vetwrap.

9. cheyfrie26

cheyfrie26 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Ohio
    What did you feed the baby birds? Can I use seeds, baby animal milk, and some water?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by