Baby Pigeons survived the cold snap!!Hoora!!!

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by Okla-doodle-doo, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Okla-doodle-doo

Okla-doodle-doo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Portland,Tn
    All the baby pigeons(squabs) that were hatced out survived the single digit temps of last week! Even had some hatch during the fridgid spell. So far this year I have banded 20 babies so far.Looks like its going to be a good year(keeping fingers croosed!lol)

2. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    In 50 years of raising pigeons I have only lost a few young to the cold. and when I did it because they fell out of the nest.

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Congratulations!
    Mine have all survived too, even with temps down to about 10*, which is VERY cold for here.

4. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:You have plans to eat the baby pigeons, if not they are known as squeakers.

Glad they make it thru the cold days, pigeons will keep the young warm, except in rare cases.

5. Okla-doodle-doo

Okla-doodle-doo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Portland,Tn
    I guess they are squeakers because I'm not eating them. They are performance Rollers and Arabian Trumpeters. I have raised pigeons for about thirty-five years and have lost lots to the cold. If they are are still in pinfeathers or no feathers,they sometimes chill and die when the parents leave the nest to feed. Normally they do good but sometimes its just to cold for naked birds.But this cold spell everyone sat real tight and I lucked out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by