Baby Pool alert Pet Smart

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ml, Oct 5, 2007.

1. ml

ml Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    Was in Pet Smart picking up some cat food and they had some small baby pools for under4.00 each on sale from 7.99. They are a great size should fit in any car's back seat. Had the truck so it went in the back with a weight in it so did not blow out.

Ducks approved and it was small enough to dump and refil to keep clean. A option really like cause the spoiled things seem to like clean water to play in.

Hope some one else gets lucky too, they also would make a nice brooder for young ones.

ML

2. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

Petsmart huh? Thanks you reminded me I am out of cat food......I have checking out ducks on the "other poultry" thanks, thats what I love about this place, you do not have to wait long to be enabled.....ugh, I mean helped.... [​IMG]

3. Frenchie

Frenchie Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2009
    Dallas
    Oh man, I bought one from petsmart just last night but it was 8.99! Any quick and easy ideas for a ramp???

4. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:I used to use a length of hardware cloth bent to fit both sides of the wall. Usually they will just jump out of a full pool but after they have splashed half the water out it is more of a problem.
    BTW I always waited to stock up on pools in the fall for the next year's use. When the weather starts to cool and a merchant has more than he thinks he will sell they give GREAT deals because they take a lot of room to store and shipping them back is just out of the question. I have gotten both the big ones and the smaller ones for $1 each when we had a cold snap at Labor day.

5. 1duckychick

1duckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Quote:I used to use a length of hardware cloth bent to fit both sides of the wall. Usually they will just jump out of a full pool but after they have splashed half the water out it is more of a problem.
    BTW I always waited to stock up on pools in the fall for the next year's use. When the weather starts to cool and a merchant has more than he thinks he will sell they give GREAT deals because they take a lot of room to store and shipping them back is just out of the question. I have gotten both the big ones and the smaller ones for $1 each when we had a cold snap at Labor day.

I had ramp questions too. What's a "hardware cloth"?

Meant to add - thx for the pool tip! Gonna need to pick a couple up soon.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  6. ExpLo721

ExpLo721 Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2009
    Chicago/Montgomery
    That's a pretty good price. I got one from Wal-Mart for $8.99.

7. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC

I had ramp questions too. What's a "hardware cloth"? Hardware Cloth (I think that is the proper hardware store name) Is fairly heavy wire woven and welded into a mesh usually 1/4 and 1/2" meshes are available it is fairly stiff as the wire is heavier than that used in chicken wire. Its most common use is rodent proofing structures. also added to sidewall and under eves vents and chimblies (SP) to keep out birds rodents etc. Often used as a course soil screen to remove clumps and rocks. Plastic versions are available because of price. Usually galvanized for rust proofing. Try a google for more info.
    Meant to add - thx for the pool tip! Gonna need to pick a couple up soon.

8. I need one myself...

9. 1duckychick

1duckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Thanks goosedragon!

Gonna go shopping today!

10. Tweeza

Tweeza Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2008
    New England
    We have a kiddie pool with bricks on the outside. On top of those we have a piece of the nonslip padding you place under rugs. It's larger and thicker than the stuff for lining shelves. It's big enough that it drapes into the water and they swim up and use it to hop out. Our ducklings are 4 wks old. Last week we had bricks in the pool, don't know if they needed them on the inside or not at that time. They were two weeks when we got the pool set up. It seems to be working great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by