baby pool

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by dr2202, Jun 21, 2010.

1. dr2202

dr2202 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2009
    Bellmore Long Island NY
    i know this has nothing to do with feeding but it does have to do with water....[​IMG]
    i was thinking about putting a baby pool in their area so they could clean themselves.... if i just put a little water in there would they go in? has anyone done this before?

2. obxWaMi

obxWaMi Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm still rather new to chickens, but I don't think chickens bathe in water like that. I just looked in my Raising Chickens for Dummies book and I couldn't find a single thing to indicate that they do.
    My chickens do love a good dirt bath, but I've never seen them even consider getting into my fish pond or garden fountain.

3. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    No they won't use it but if you provide steps they will drink out of it. I use steel shallow pans in the run area on those super hot days and occasionally the chickens get in to cool down their feet.

4. JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom

JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2009
    West Central WI
    Even in HOT weather, chickens at our place do not go near puddles of water of any kind for bathing purposes.

5. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    Chickens clean themselves by dirt bathing. You would be better off to give them a tub or pan filled with loose dirt. My chickens steer clear of puddles and the duck pool.

6. chickenwhisperer

chickenwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Chicken Country, U S A
    A pool in a chicken run sounds like a cesspool in the making . . .

7. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Fill that baby pool with a mixture of sand, ashes, and garden soil. You can also mix DE with it. The girls would love to dust bathe in that! [​IMG]

8. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:Need to add: My friend's chicken drowned in the ducks' kiddie pool. [​IMG]

9. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

I have one of these filled with water in my run. The girls love to stand in it when it is hot out. It is about 15" in diameter and only 4" deep. It does get really dirty and needs to be cleaned every day.

[​IMG]

10. dr2202

dr2202 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2009
    Bellmore Long Island NY
    thanks for the input everybody- i hadnt had the chance to try it- but now i guess i dont have to [​IMG]...
    i have a water dish to on the outside and they do wade in it which gave me the idea of the small baby pool( which i bought for my dog, and he wont use it)....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by