Baby Proof Fencing

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mama2many, Jun 24, 2010.

1. mama2many

mama2many Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    I have boocoo babies and they fit through the fence. We have welded wire fencing and they have a small pen that I carry them to and from that is 1 inch hex. Any suggestion on a lower cost fencing fabric to line the bottom 2 feet of their run to keep my babies in?

2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

If you are only worried about keeping the babies in - then chicken wire is probably the cheapest option. It won't keep predators out though, but if the welded wire fence is good-enough for keeping them out, then you should be good.
    I use it on my daytime fences, where my only concern is keeping the chickens in or out of some bigger-holed-stronger fence that keeps the dogs out.

Hardware cloth is the only thing that will keep out the raccoons (and some other things) and it costs a bit more.

3. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Plastic deer fencing. (I guess that's what it's called -- I stretched it over my pond last fall to keep the leaves out -- the holes are about 1/2" wide and it's available at Home Depot.

Jenny

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    The flimsy plastic 1/2" garden netting is more or less good, but be aware that chickens can rip holes in it (ask me how I know). If you want *definitely* nobody going through, I would suggest chickenwire, ideally 1/2" chickenwire but the 1" will work pretty well once the chicks are past the first week or so.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

5. mama2many

mama2many Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    [​IMG] Thank you all for your suggestions. We went with chicken wire. it took 2 rolls. Plus a road trip to get it but are excited to get the babies back in with the mamas and the papas this week. Will be watching for leaks....... will keep you posted on that one. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by