Baby Quail Care????s

Discussion in 'Quail' started by silly, May 16, 2011.

1. silly

silly Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    So I picked up 20 Ga Giant Bobwhites last Friday and they are about a week and a half old. Then I have 60+ Coturnix eggs due to hatch Saturday not really expecting a great hatch due to some of my eggs being too old(2.5 weeks cause I only have 4 birds laying) and this being my first attempt at incubating and raising bird babies. My questions being:
    1. What is the easiest way to grind food for these things? The 20 I have now eat faster than I can grind already. I am using a pepper mill. Gotta be an easier way. What is it? Or is there a food i can buy that is small enough not to need grinding?
    2. When i turn off the auto turner on Wednesday would it be better to just lay the eggs out on their sides or take the racks out of the turner set them in the bottom of the incubator and leave the eggs in them. I do not have or know where to get quail size egg crates.
    3.I had a rubbermaid box set up with a light and everything but am now using it for my bobwhites. Am I correct in assuming they will still be in need of this set up come Saturday and that I need to go purchase another lamp and box for my upcoming hatch. Do the new birds need a solid floor under the heat lamp to stay warm enough or could i go ahead and build a brooder with a wire floor.

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:YES YOU WILL NEED ADDITIONAL BROODERS

3. silly

silly Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    Thanks. I will for sure quit grinding as I am feeding game bird crumbles. Had read in several places to grind it so thought i needed to.

What about keeping them on a wire floor from hatch. Will the air circulating under them prevent them from staying warm enough under the heat lamp?

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Buttons Definately Need Food Ground, Coturnix And Bobs Can Usually Find Small Enough Pieces In The Regular Crumble Mix. Its Rather Surprising What They Can Wolf Down [​IMG]

As For Your Wire Floor Brooder... Depends Alot On The Environment, Obviously The Cooler The Surrounding Temps The More Likely They Will Be To Get Too Cold. You'll Find New World Speces (bobs Valleys Gambels, Etc) Way More Heat Seaking Than Coturnix.

5. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Quote:Go to a discount store and buy yourself a cheap coffee grinder with adjustable grind settings. It should cost between $15 and $25. I bought a Black and Decker a couple years back, actually to use to grind my own grain for bread baking, and I've used it a LOT in those two years (will be 3 late summer), and have ground a lot of things, including very hard flint corns. It still works great.

Gamebird crumbles are very soft -- you can grind a cup and half of them (the hopper capacity) in about 10 to15 seconds. Easy way to do it.

6. kerry 2138

kerry 2138 Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    Santa Fe
    I use a regular blender to grind crumbles for the first week. You can pick one up at wally world or the dollar store cheap. just fill it up a little less than half full and it will grind it quickly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by