baby quail checking

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by funny quails, Jul 1, 2016.

1. funny quails

funny quails Just Hatched

Jun 23, 2016
    qeensland
    ok so soon in a couple of days one of my quail eggs should hatch hopefully but I have a few questions about that

1. how many times should I check on the chicks
    2. how can you tell if a egg is bad or not
    3. if it I really cold should I bring the chick inside
    4.what should I do if the chick hatches with injuries
    5. if the other quails don't stop peaking the chick what should I do
    6. how can I tell if the chick is sick or not

thanks for your answers plz answer so you know I have king quails and also if you prefer to message me the answers privately I would be happy for you to do that

[​IMG] [​IMG] THANKS

2. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    I'm new to quail myself but here is what I know:

1. how many times should I check on the chicks I'm assuming you have a hen brooding eggs (not eggs in an incubator). You'll need to watch very closely the first days. Some hens aren't good moms and may not care for the chicks or even try to kill them.
    2. how can you tell if a egg is bad or not One of the best ways is candling. I also know there is a float test. Do a search to learn more. But if they are near hatch you won't really want to mess with them too much. The hen might not like it either.
    3. if it I really cold should I bring the chick inside I guess it depends on how cold you mean. They should be fine with mom is she takes care of them. If mom abandons them, then yes you'll need to bring them in and put them under heat.
    4.what should I do if the chick hatches with injuries I guess that depends on the type of injury. The quail section of the forum has lots of great information.
    5. if the other quails don't stop peaking the chick what should I do You should have mom and chicks separated from the rest of the quail. The best would be to put up a barrier the chicks can't get through but still allows the other quail to see the chicks. You won't want to introduce them until the chicks are much bigger and can hold their on.
    6. how can I tell if the chick is sick or not Things like excessive sleep, not eating or drinking, trouble walking, trouble breathing...

You may want to post your questions in the quail section (under Other Backyard Poultry). There are lots of more knowledgeable quail people than I that probably won't see your post here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by