Baby quail chick can’t stand up!

TheBirdLady2001

Songster
Oct 11, 2016
Windsor, Ontario, CA
image.jpg
I had a quail chick that hatched about 5 or 6 hours ago. His toes are all curled in and he won’t stand. He just kind flops around. One of his legs is pretty red, and one of the toes is almost black.

Conan

Angel Mermaid 🧜‍♀️
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
May 25, 2015
Western Washington
Oh, bummer! I have seen so many folks on here with quail hatching/baby issues... I really want to try some quail, but I feel insanely unqualified and intimidated.

WVduckchick

🐓🦆 For the Birds! 🦆🐓
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Feb 9, 2015
West Virginia
My Coop
My Coop
How's he doing this morning? I would guess some type of strange position in the shell, restricted circulation to that leg? Just a guess. Hopefully it can work thru it and improve. I would also try massaging, and don't tape the toes to try to straighten them until the color in the foot looks better.

Good luck!

TheBirdLady2001

Songster
Oct 11, 2016
Windsor, Ontario, CA
How's he doing this morning? I would guess some type of strange position in the shell, restricted circulation to that leg? Just a guess. Hopefully it can work thru it and improve. I would also try massaging, and don't tape the toes to try to straighten them until the color in the foot looks better.

Good luck!
His leg is still pretty red, and that one toe looks like it’s dead, and probably going to fall off. But he’s doing better, learning to walk, but I’m sure he’ll get used to it lol!

Top Bottom