Baby quail died. What happened? HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Valeriemichelle, May 21, 2010.

1. Valeriemichelle

Valeriemichelle Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2010
    I woke up today to find one of my baby quails not acting right. It was 1 week old today. When I put my hand in the box it just layed there..
    It even let me touch/hold it which really concerned me. That quail always just ran from me. I found it at about 1pm and it died at about 8pm. It was fine the day before. I'm not sure what time it started acting weird.

It just laid there, wouldn't even get up and rarely opened its eyes. If it did open then it would be for about a second and then it would close then right back. it wouldn't eat but I did give it some water with a syringe. The second time I gave it a little water it acted like it was gasping for air, and then it died. [​IMG]
    about a minute after it died brown liquid started coming out of its mouth.

I just wanted to know what could have happend? Please help me with this.

2. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Do you have a lid on your brooder? sounds to me like it may have gotten injured but jumping up and hitting it's head.

3. Valeriemichelle

Valeriemichelle Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2010
    They are just in a cardboard box. No lid.

4. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Hmmm, then I don't know. But sometimes quail babies just die, I have had a few buttons that just dies for no apparent reason. I have heard that that is common for quail.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by