Baby quail emergency!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mandalorian, Mar 16, 2017.

1. mandalorian

mandalorian Just Hatched

Jan 21, 2017
    NSW, Australia
    This is my first time raising quail...I've been told they were squirmy little things, but I didn't know they'd jump from your hand while you're standing up [​IMG]

So I was transporting one of my chicks into the tank when suddenly, I guess it saw something on the floor or something, it jumped/fell from my hand and landed hard....I mean, hard. [​IMG]I picked it up immediately and my heart sank when it couldn't seem to right itself and its head kept twisting. At first I thought it broke it's neck, then I got a closer look and it seems like the world is spinning for the little one (I've had severe head spinning before also, and I can say I had a similar response [​IMG])

Is there anything I can do, or just see what happens? The chick isn't quiet, its making usual contact calls and when I show it funny patterns it tries to peck them and calls like when I feed them. Does anyone think this just temporary cause he bumped his head, or is this more serious? If anyone has any advice, I would really appreciate!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She probably has wry neck ( a neurological symptom) as a result of her head injury. I would make sure that she is eating and drinking, add vitamins to her water (or 1 ml of Poultry NutriDrench Vitamins daily.) If her neck prevents her from eating, you may need to hold her and feed her a mash of feed mixed with a lot of water.)

3. mandalorian

mandalorian Just Hatched

Jan 21, 2017
    NSW, Australia

Thank you! I'll try that, the little one seems to be getting its bearings a bit now that it's had a sleep, so hopefully some more good naps and yummy enriched food will do the trick

On the topic of quail issues though, I've had a very sweet baby hatch with a funny leg problem [​IMG] I thought it was slipped tendon, but I'm not counting on that now. It doesn't seem to have any sensation in the leg at all and it's held up by its side, kind of fused bent at the hock. It's a VERY active chick, it particularly likes to jump around and flap it's dumb little wings and the leg doesn't seem to hinder it too much (at this age), nor cause it pain as it never cries about it or struggles when you touch it or move it.....what could cause that? the incubator fan failed and the temp did spike at one point during incubation, if that could be related

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by