Baby quail fount for chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dominique man, Aug 2, 2014.

1. dominique man

dominique man Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2014
    Findlay Ohio
    So a few days ago we were at tractor supply getting stuff for the new baby chicks coming in and half way home from the store I realized that I had accidentally bought a baby quail fount! Will this still work for chicks or am I hosed?

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I don't see why they wouldn't use it. I'm assuming its smaller since its for quail? Or maybe has small openings so they can't fall in and drown? As long as they can access the water, they'll be okay :)

3. RJSorensen

RJSorensen Chicken George

Yes the Quail waterers that I have seen and or used have a much thinner lip to font distance. I keep and use Quail waterers just for my Banty chicks. Yes they do and or can fall asleep in the rim and drowned. So if you have Large Fowl breeds, the spacing worn't work for very long. Fine as week olds and then down hill from there, at least from what I have seen. So if you can return it, for a wider rim font that would perhaps be best. If you plan on raising Banty or Quail then just keep it for them.

Best to you and your birds,

RJ

4. dominique man

dominique man Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2014
    Findlay Ohio
    Went and bought a chick fount today

5. topdycke

topdycke Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    Magnolia, Texas
    I used the quail one until they were 4 weeks I only had six so filled it daily then they went to one which could hang up to minimize the junk they kicked in

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by