Baby quail hatched with a problem...need input

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Lobzi, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

I had a few quail hatch this morning. One has what appears to be part or all of its intestines outside its tummy. Is there anything I can do? Has anyone seen this situation and if so did you address it and how?

2. Lobzi

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Here are some pics of the little one. It is alive.

3. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

It hatched before it could finish absorbing the yolk which sometimes causes an imbilical opening. What you are seeing is his digestive tract. My recommendation would be to euthanize. It will likely die in the next 24 hours regardless. Remove chicks like this from the bator immediately. The others will usually peck the yolk sac causing it to rupture and spill blood all around the incubator. Its a perfect opportunity for infection to spread when that happens.

4. Lobzi

[​IMG]
    Intestines in. We shall see. Baby alive and resting.

5. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    Did you help them get in or did they go in on their own?

6. Lobzi

The baby is wrapped in a sock and in the incubator. There was no yolk sac that I could see.

I will keep and eye on it and not hold up too much hope.

Used q tips to push the intestine back in and now just hoping the hole will close on its own. Use antibiotic cream on point of opening.

7. Lobzi

Update.
    My little one didnt make it. That is probably for the best but I had to try to help him survive.

8. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    Yeah, good for him but poor you ;) RIP little one.

9. Lobzi

I have another with an eye issue. To be honest it looks like one of the other quail pecked it in the eye so hard it put its eye out. This has been a tough hatch.

10. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

A missing eye is unfortunate but the bird should be fine. Ive had a more than a few "pirates" over the years and they do alright. And youre probably right another chick probably put it out if looks like a wound. Deformation causing a missing eye usually has no "wound" and looks healed inasmuch as it can.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by