Baby quail....having trouble getting around....help?

kryptoniteqhs

Rosecomb Rich
12 Years
Nov 14, 2008
Norco, CA
I just got my first 2 quail....one is doing great, the other has been iffy all day. It looks like it just hatched, it falls all over the place and gets stuck on its back and when it tries to stand up it seems as tho its legs are so tall that its way off balance......i dont know whats going on.....im also having trouble getting them to eat or drink...i dont mean this to sound offensive, but they seem pretty stupid. can anyone give me any suggestions....?

yay!!! your here!! theyre button quail and only like a day or so old...ive been trying to feed it with an eye dropper....im having a real hard time getting anything down them tho

he gets to the point, often, where i think he gets tired of struggling and just lays on his side kicking his feet......
sad.png

buttons are pretty dumb so no offense taken there.....ergo why i no longer own them! LOL!

I would take it by its head and dip its beak in the water, and then lift it's head up to the sky until the dumb thing swallows lol. They sure are cute but they are truely pains and are quite delicate.

As for feeding what i've done for reluctant chicks is just take them out have some wetted down ground up feed ready and put a small ball of it in the back of their beak and let them go and normally they'll swallow it once left go. Othertimes they'll fling it out of their mouth.

Do you have them offered with ground up (to fine powder) feed? If you have cats, grind up some of their food as well and tap your fingers at the food and they sholud come over and investigate.

Quote:
ok thanks....we started off trying the dunk method lol....they didnt get it....i smashed theyre feed up smaller with my fingers, but its not a powder.....what happens when they fling it out? lol

Quote:
ok thanks....we started off trying the dunk method lol....they didnt get it....i smashed theyre feed up smaller with my fingers, but its not a powder.....what happens when they fling it out? lol

For buttons it's gotta be pretty much powder for the first few days atleast they may not have been able to eat it? Just a guess i can't see your feed to say if it's smallenough or not but powder conistancy is the accepted method
smile.png

Fling it out, well as long as they can sitll scratch about and find it that shouldnt be a problem
smile.png

Quote:

For buttons it's gotta be pretty much powder for the first few days atleast they may not have been able to eat it? Just a guess i can't see your feed to say if it's smallenough or not but powder conistancy is the accepted method
smile.png

Fling it out, well as long as they can sitll scratch about and find it that shouldnt be a problem
smile.png

thank you! i force fed him the mashed up food....MAN! the hardest freaking part is getting their little beaks open! stubborn dummies....they both shut up now and the one that had the trouble is doing WAY better!
fl.gif
What idiots, all that crap bc ur too stupid to eat urself.....
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom