Baby quail is sick!! Please help!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by catherinemary, Jul 26, 2013.

1. catherinemary

catherinemary Hatching

Jan 9, 2013
    Carson city nv
    A family friend brought us a tiny quail (yesterday) they saved from a cat two days ago. When they brought it over it was running around like a normal baby. But today when i checked him he looks sick. We put him in the tank with the other baby quail and baby chickens we have. He's much smaller than them, they are a few weeks old and he's newly hatched a few days ago.
    Anyways since its eyes were closed I cleaned them with a q-tip but just a little eye goop came out an it still won't open it's eyes(no swelling around the eyes]). I fed it some water drips and some sugar water drips, it's chirping now but it won't eat any of its starter feed. What should I do? [​IMG]

2. catherinemary

catherinemary Hatching

Jan 9, 2013
    Carson city nv
    It just opened its eyes. I could tell there is a little bit of eye goop in one eye.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Bird is the Word

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    What temp is the brooder? He should be at 95 degrees at this time. Measure the temp directly under the lamp on the floor. If the other quail babies are older than this one, then he needs to be separate so he can stay warmer than the others.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: