Baby quail is stuck in the egg

Discussion in 'Quail' started by funsized72, Sep 4, 2014.

1. funsized72

funsized72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2014
    SF bay area CA
    I read the article about assisting But its been a day and it hasn't done anything[​IMG]. Its zipped but stopped halfway, I feel like a whole day is too long to rest[​IMG]. Should i assist? This is my first hatch and i have 7 cute little baby quail out of 14 right now[​IMG][​IMG]. Hoping for more!!!!!!!!!![​IMG] Its torture waiting for more chicks[​IMG].

2. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    I 1st want to say I have never had quail. Hatched out many chicks though with incubator. Sometimes they become shrink wrapped because people open and close the incubator repeatedly or the humidity is not right. The incubator should be closed. It is very tempting to help, but it doesn't always turn out good. I have assisted hatch successfully a couple times, and also I believe I have been responsible for the death of a couple because they were not ready. Is it moving, chirping? How long has it been working on the zip line? They will a lot of times stop and rest during the process. It's hard work for a little baby![​IMG] Good luck. Let us know how it turns out. I would love to raise quail someday too. Just not ready for that adventure.

3. funsized72

Jul 19, 2014
    SF bay area CA
    It died a while ago in the egg.[​IMG]I assisted another one 2 hours ago. it good now. I have 8 quarter sized chicks now[​IMG]

4. Outpost JWB

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    awwww! Sorry about the one[​IMG]. Congrats on the others! I bet they are cuties!

5. funsized72

Jul 19, 2014
    SF bay area CA
    Update the one i assisted had a neck problem and couldnt stand up it died last night.

6. Outpost JWB

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    I hate that. You just have to remember it was going to die anyways[​IMG]. I helped one out and he hobbled around a bit and died the next day. I felt horrible. There was another I helped out and there was blood. I have read several times, if there is blood STOP! I did not stop because he had been stuck for 2 days with goopy stuff over the pip hole. Just enough for him to still keep peeping. After I got him out he laid on a warm wet washcloth I put in the incubator. When I got home from work that day, there was blood all over the incubator. He is now a beautiful 5month old Olive Egger Rooster. That is my best success story. Assist hatch turns out bad more times than good. But it's not your fault. Enjoy the others!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by