Baby quail on pine shavings

nonk72

In the Brooder
Feb 17, 2016
I have some young quail 1 week old. Would it be ok to put them on pine shaving bedding

I did and ill tell you why i wont again but its really your choice. The shavings are messy and get in everything they are also unstable and sometimes the waterers get tilted and flood the shavings which soak the babies that cant get warm and they all die i lost alot of birds using shavings. All i use in my brooders now are spill pads mine are called pig pads we use them at work but you can use the doggy training pads they get dirty you roll em up and toss em its so much easier unless you want a pile of shavings later to deal with.

We've been using shop towels. I had some shavings and thought it wouldn't be as hard to keep up. I've been putting my water on a piece of board to get it off the ground. Less mess in the water from them scratching. We just introduced them to a feeder. My main concern was it effecting the chicks.

Oh ok yeah thats fine i always hear about not using cedar shavings for birds but ive used those to since their only on em for 3 weeks and usually vacuum sealed at week 8.

Try sand or one of the natural kitty litters (corn cob or similar). Baby quail are tiny and pine shavings are not. I prefer to keep them on gravel paper with no litter for the first two weeks.

Back
Top Bottom