1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby quails..love of water a dangerous obsetion

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tegg, Nov 20, 2007.

1. tegg

tegg Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2007
    I have hatched some little button quails and i put them a brooding box with jamjar lids for water and food and most importantly the marbles to stop drowning.
    well the first day all of them got soking wet and i found them in the corners on their backs with their legs flailing in the air and cheeping loudly. aaaahhhhh!
    i grabed each one and took them to my room and used my hair dryer on cold, low, setting to heat and puff them back up. it saved their lives. but belive it or not they did it several more times beffor 2 days had pased and they stoped. trust me in dier situation of wet cold chicks a hair dryer is a life savour if used carefully.
    since this i hached one stragler and again it wet itself all over and nearly died. gggrrr what is the little quails fasination with water. even the teenager quails like to dabble in the water. i have to change it out 10 times a day. little boogers!

2. nccatnip

nccatnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Piedmont area NC
    Add more marbles or reduce water level. You may have to replenish the water more often but it will keep them from getting soaking wet.

3. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    quail need their own smaller, higher lipped waterer.

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I agree..a quail waterer would be the optimal solution. Or a chick waterer with wire cut to fit over the water well so only the beak can enter. Both work well here and no wet chicks.

Jody

5. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I use this to water my quail the opening is so small they can only get their beak in it. I don't use the cage clip I just sit it on the floor in their cage.

[​IMG]

6. tegg

tegg Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2007
    thanks very much, i'll get right on buying one of those waterers.
    here in Australia the Northern Territory, we have very few places to buy quail or chicken products. and few american web sites will ship here so..i must be creative . its my first batch of chicks. i plan on selling them as we have few pet stores which can get them. but im ensuring i make them the happyest and healthy little quails beffor i even consider selling them. thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by