Baby Rabbit Questions

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by JenniferJoIN, Oct 6, 2007.

1. JenniferJoIN

JenniferJoIN Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    So DB was mowing the yard and we ended up with 2 baby rabbits. The hawks have really been scouring the fields around us, so I kept them. You can see how small they are by the pictures... what should I be feeding them? Do you think they are old enough to eat adult rabbit stuff? Or should I get some milk replacer?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2007
  2. Omeletta

Omeletta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    I think they might be ok on pellet, but at that age they are still suckling from their mama. Watch the poop, it should be formed, not runny. If you can get replacer, and don't mind the work and cost, I recommend it.

3. Sherriekim

Sherriekim Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Southwest Idaho
    I've read that the kitten milk replacer will work for baby rabbits. Never tried it, hopefully somebody will come along who has experience with rabbits and post. Sorry I can't be a little more helpful. Cute bunny and good save, hate to think they ended up as food for a hawk!

4. JenniferJoIN

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    I will definitely watch the poop. And will try and get some replacer today. Thank you for the advice!

Sherriekim- I hope you're right about the 'save'-ing part! I wouldn't have kept them if we didn't have 3 hawks flying around. They already got one of my chicks, I don't want them getting any more babies!

5. ncgnance

ncgnance Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    I would say those babies are big enough to take care of themselves. My australian shepherd used to bring baby rabbits home, play with them a little while, then give them to me. He never hurt them. The wildlife lady (licensed to take care of wildlife) told me if they're as big as your hand they can take care of themselves. I always turned them loose in a fence row where there's plenty of cover. If you do try to feed them, don't give them lettuce. Good luck.. ..

6. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    They are old enough to take care of themselves. It is very hard to keep wild baby rabbits as they don't usually survive captivity. I would find them a nice set of woods with lots of undercover (places to hide) and set them free. If you decide to try to keep them you may have to give them grass and twigs if they won't eat the pellets. Good Luck![​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2007
  7. Fancy Feather Poultry

Fancy Feather Poultry Cooped Up

May 30, 2007
    I took care of 3 baby rabbits around that age and I kept them for 3-4 weeks feeding them kitty milk with and Eye dropper before I went to school and before I went to bed and introduced them to grass after 1 week. The after 4 weeks I put them out side and and let them jump around the yard, then they were gone.

Edited to say, watch out they do have parasites and such as lice, watch when hadling always wash hand, and I used a plastic tube with papertowl in the bottm and a heating pad under the plastic tub to keep them in.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2007
  8. JenniferJoIN

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Thank you everyone for the helpful suggestions. I was going to let them go across the road (in the woods) but seeing how small they are really worries me. The picture is kind of deceiving, they're about as big as my palm. That and since they were both in different places, I would have no idea where to put them back so that the mom could find them. So my plan is to get the kitten replacement milk tomorrow and see how they do. I'm not getting my hopes up, but it's the best I know to do! [​IMG]

But I will definitely take everyones advice. They won't be pets, I just want them to get a little bigger. And if you have any more advice, please let me know!

9. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I used to work for a landscape Co for years and i learned the best thing is to put them as close to the spot you found them, but try to not have it in the wide open. The mothers stay away til night and then go feed them. If you put them close enough, i am sure she will find them. I had that happen ALOT when i did that job. The mothers dont like to show predators where they are so she keep away from the nest, but know she is around and will find them.

10. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    BTW.....Those are WAY bigger than the babies that RUN RUN RUN all around my yard at night. They are fine, trust me. I promise if you put them right where you found them......they will be totally fine. You should do it now if its dark out. That is when mother is looking for them. If you wait, she might not be around and give up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by