Baby Robin in our backyard...where are his parents?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Coco, May 15, 2008.

1. Coco

Coco Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2008
    Ok, this doesnt really fit in the "pet & livestock" catergory, but I found a little baby Robin in my back yard this afternoon. So I pulled the dogs indoors (luckily they hadnt discovered him yet) and have been listening to him "talk" and call for mom & dad ever since. Every so often, I have gone to check on him by looking out a bedroom window as well, where he cant see me. I started to get a little concerned as I have yet to see an adult Robin in the yard at all today. So I just wondered if anyone out there was a "Robin Expert" and could give me some advice. Would his parents just abandone him? By the way, he is big enough to be out of the nest...that I do know for sure, he has his feathers and reddish chest and is hoping around the yard, so he doesnt appear to have fallen out or anything. Should I leave him alone or do I need to step in to help him out?

2. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    If you can, give it some time to see if mom shows up. She won't abandon unless she's hurt or dead and unable to be there for her youngster. If it is nearly dark and there is no sign of mom at all and baby is just sitting there on the ground and vulnerable, looking lost, at that point I would probably take it in for the night.

Gently place in a box with soft bedding and place in a quiet, dark, stress free room. Okay to have water but not anything he/she could fall in and drown or get really wet and a chill. I would put it back out in the morning in the same spot and see if mom shows (if you can be there to observe). If it seems helpless and there is no mom, I would see if there is a wildlife rehab center near you. Or at least one that you could confer with via phone. Check the thread that was running last night here on BYC about 2 crow babies that fell out of their nest - more info there.

Thank you for your kindness and concern for the little one.
    JJ

3. Coco

Coco Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2008
    JJ,

Thanks for the good advice. As it turns out, I did see a adult Robin come into the yard and then go up to the privacy fence to perch, just within the past 15 minutes. It called to the baby and they communicated back and forth. I never saw the parent feed the baby but I'm just relieved it's around. Now if the little one can just stay in the yard, there's an outdoor cat at the house behind us (we've never seen the cat come into our yard before) and our next door neighbor has 2 pitbulls (which their yard is chain linked and then the dogs are in another chain linked dog run)...our yard is privacy fenced but we only have one big tree in our yard. With nighttime coming, hopefully the little guy will be ok. Thanks for the great info though!!! Appreicate it!

4. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    My parents always told me when I found a robin when I was young to let them be. Usually the mom is somewhere around and like you have noticed they will call back and forth to one another. I used to test this theory when I was young and watch to see if the mom would come and get the baby. My parents were right. She would call to her baby and they would meet up eventually. She won't come get the baby though if someone is bothering them.[​IMG]

5. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    You're most welcome.
    So glad the mom seems to be on the case!!!
    Hopefully all will be well [​IMG]
    JJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by