baby rocks with bare bellies

j_d

Hatching
11 Years
Jun 11, 2008
greetings, i have had my chickens for just less than a week now. i have 15 buff orpingtons and 24 (lost 1) c. rock crosses. kept in seperate boxes with fresh pine shavings. free access to water and food. the rock crosses all have matted and worn feathers on their undersides to the point where they are almost bald. the buff's dont have this problem. i would appreciate any suggestions. they appear spunky, eat a lot and seem to be otherwise healhy. thanks.
josh

yes, it is most likely that the bedding is still getting moist from urine/feces. Unless you change it EVERYDAy and keep them in large areas. The big meat birds tend to lay down more, too..

thanks folks, we have been pretty dilligent on keeping the bedding fresh but im going to try and find a bigger box to keep them in. maybe that will help keep things even dryer.

also the hatchery told me it wasnt necessary to take their food away when they are this young, only as they get older and if they have problems. we are also giving them vitimans/electrolites in their water. any opinions on this are appreciated too.
thanks,
josh

Back
Top Bottom