1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby Roo Missing Tail Feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NewChixMom, Apr 29, 2008.

1. NewChixMom

NewChixMom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2008
    Mississippi
    I have a 3 1/2 week old baby roo, who I think will be a RIR. He was one of 7 packed for warmth by accident. Anyway he is smaller and one of the bigger roos just ripped his tail feathers out. He is bleeding. I have put him in isolation with a lamp, water, and some yogurt. What should I put on the wound? I will try to get some pics. Does he need pedialyte? Help! This is my first chick injury!

2. Flyman39

Flyman39 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2007
    West Virginia
    Put a little antibiotic ointment on it. As long as he is eating and drinking he will be just fine. The feathers will grow back but you will have to house him seperate from the older rooster or he will continue to pick him. Once they draw blood from picking every chicken in the lot will start picking him. Good luck and don't worry.

3. NewChixMom

Mar 12, 2008
    Mississippi
    ok good

4. NewChixMom

Mar 12, 2008
    Mississippi
    I just got him to drink and put some neosporin on his stump

5. Flyman39

Flyman39 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2007
    West Virginia
    He should be fine. Good to hear that he is drinking. If he eats and drinks he will be oK.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by