Baby Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by careeka22, Mar 21, 2018.

1. careeka22

careeka22 Songster

Jul 29, 2016
    Aylett VA
    Kinda being hopeful, we would love it to be a "him" but of course would love a pullet. He's a lavender orpington, 5 weeks and is the runt so developing very slow. He's so feisty! Any fun guesses? I'll post again in a few weeks too as he/she grows.

Attached Files:

Lacy Duckwing likes this.
  2. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Free Ranging

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
    I'm not sure its an orp. They have white feet and legs.... Not sure its a male either at this point. Wait until its 6-8 weeks.

Cyprus and careeka22 like this.
  3. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Lavender Orps dont... And I assume it came from a hatchery... It looks like it could be a Cockerel but it’s too hard to tell right now especially with Orps..

Cyprus, sourland and careeka22 like this.
  4. careeka22

careeka22 Songster

Jul 29, 2016
    Aylett VA
    I have a buff too with white legs but these were sold SR at my local store from a hatchery as a Lav. Oh yeah I'll def wait we don't care either way just curious. Thanks

holm25 and Cyprus like this.
  5. Crazy for Chickens!

Crazy for Chickens! Free Ranging

Jun 9, 2017
    NW Missouri
    My guess is it's an early cockerel. I see wattles growing, and although that doesn't mean anything unless their red, I think in time, they will.

6. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Conserve Heritage Breed Livestock

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Looks like a pullet so far to me.

holm25, Cyprus and careeka22 like this.
  7. Lacy Duckwing

Lacy Duckwing Songster

Nov 6, 2017
    Maine
    Hen's feathers grow faster than rooster's. It may be a he. And yes, it is a Lavender Orpington, if you was worried about the leg color. Lavender Orpingtons have those color legs.
    Perhaps you could compare the feather growth next to the others. I have heard, but not found very accurate, but you can try it if you want to, you lay the chick onto it's back. If it pulls it's legs to it's chest it's a hen. If it's legs straightens out away from it's chest then it's a rooster. I don't know if that will help, but that might be worth a try.

Cyprus and careeka22 like this.
  8. careeka22

careeka22 Songster

Jul 29, 2016
    Aylett VA
    Thanks, I'll give it a try! "He/she" is half the size of the chicks hatched the same day but is finally growing some. Guess we will know soon enough! He looks like other LOs so I wasn't too concerned but glad it's confirmed now.

Lacy Duckwing and Cyprus like this.
  9. careeka22

careeka22 Songster

Jul 29, 2016
    Aylett VA
    Thanks for your guess! They wattles seemed larger and darker today so I figured I'd take some pics now to compare to later.

Crazy for Chickens! and Cyprus like this.
  10. careeka22

careeka22 Songster

Jul 29, 2016
    Aylett VA
    I'm thinking you were right. This is "him" now. Also when I went to try and move all the chicks to the coop (Because they couldn't figure it out) he was pecking at mine and my husband's hand. Is that a bad sign or is he just protective?

Attached Files:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: