1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby roos vs. teenage boys - what's the difference?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by gritsar, Sep 7, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    They're both a pain in the rear!!!

I only have two baby roos right now, since DH culled the other cornish X cockerels for me.

Rosie the Turken - decided it was great fun to bite my foot yesterday. First time I gave him a pass, thinking he was mistaking my bare foot for food. Second time he went into Grit's rooster reform school. I have reminded him repeatedly what happened to the Cornish Xs. It could happen to him too.

Ollie the Cornish X roo - Not a problem for humans, but he's driving the pullets crazy. I could probably put up with his nonsense, if it weren't for the fact that he's clueless about what he's doing. Also, too big. He grabs ahold of the pullet's neck, to get in the mating position, but then can't climb aboard. So what we end up with is a screaming pullet being held in place by Godzilla!

Roos and teenage boys - both should be locked up until the recover from testosterone poisoning. [​IMG]

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Gritty,

If you named me Rosie. I'd bite you too. [​IMG]

and Ollie? What do you expect? [​IMG]

How about renaming them Brutus and Killer. Way more befitting roos.

An Imp named Sue [​IMG]

3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG] You too funny Impy!

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Rosie was s'posed to be a pullet. Not my fault he turned into a roo. [​IMG]

Gonna get pics of Ollie soon. You'll see why the name was perfect for the beast.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

The Sebright brothers have been such a PIA here. Finally, ONE of them has started being polite enough to do the Wing Drop Circle Dance and actually respect the hen's lack of interest. Of course, he'll do the Dance repeatedly just to make sure she really wouldn't like to change her mind and squat for him. All the mature ladies are large fowl; neither of the 2 Sebright sisters or the 2 bantam EEs are anywhere near laying. Luckily, all four of those darling girls can fly, because the Sebright brothers were after girls that couldn't just walk away from them after a squawk and a wing flap to dislodge 'em.

Charlie, the bantam Buff Brahma has been doing The Dance of Love for two weeks now; he has NEVER initiated rude behavior. He has, however, joined the 2 Sebright boys in tag-teaming pullets. I started yanking them off the girls and flinging 'em behind me. They only did this stuff when Carl wasn't near by, but now that they know *I* am The Boss of Them, they've either adjusted to that or just grown up a little bit. Lord knows what trouble they're up to when I'm at work.

Nugget is a bantam cochin and he's starting to chase girls. He has only crowed from within the bantam coop in the mornings, letting me know it's past time to let them out. He does do a little stamping dance, no lowered wing or circling, around the little girls raised with him (the two bantam EEs). They shriek and run away. I can almost hear them giggling when they get into the bushes.

5. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Linda, I can't imagine Ollie doing the wing dance. He'd fall all over himself and probably break his neck! [​IMG]

His crowing is kinda hard to describe - kinda an errrr with no errr errrr after it. Sounds similiar to a dying cow. [​IMG]

6. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    The difference is that even threatening SSS or freezer camp is highly frowned upon for the one set.

7. Naughty

Naughty Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Wichita
    Quote:We had a rooster named Daisy... we figured he had an image problem ... so we changed it to Da Z!

It's really funny to watch my lil bitty rooster try to get a piggyback ride from my huge hens... (yes - my 3 year old thinks its a piggyback ride)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Yup..i agree with Impie...
    Its the name...
    Rosie..*snort*
    [​IMG]

9. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:OMG! I was just out checking on the chickens and I noticed that the blind pullet (a CX) was in the coop instead of outside. The cornish are sometimes stubborn about going outside. So I picked her up and carried her outside. Turned around to walk back in the house and I hear her screaming. She has a very distinctive squawk, really does sound like HELP! HELP!
    Turned around and Rosie was on her back gettting a ummm....piggy back ride...like crazy. I walked over and booted him off with my foot. Beak to tip of tailfeathers Rosie's whole body isn't even as long as the pullet's back. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by