"Baby" rooster all ready to mate

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Larkin, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Larkin

Larkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Northern Wisconsin
    Well, I thought my rooster was a little young for love but low and behold, Nugget has been doing the "rooster dance" for the ladies. He is almost 3 months old (has 2 other "sisters" from the hatch) and the other hens will be one in August.
    So, has anyone had such vigorous little roosters? It's funny, he mostly hangs out with his sisters nearby the coop, but every once in a while I see him cruising my yard with the hens.

Now, I realize he may not be fertile yet but it is amazing that he is getting some of the hens to squat for him. The hens really missed their rooster that met his demise when he couldn't get along with my children. So I wonder if the hens being so "ready" for another rooster to step in has anything to do with it? Any insight from you guys would be great.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  2. Larkin

Aug 10, 2010
    Northern Wisconsin
    Also, would this combination of young pullets and vigorous rooster mean having pullets that lay eggs sooner because everyone else is doing it?

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My roo Impy was attempting to mate hens at 2 weeks old. I believe it was speckledhen that had a rooster that was younger than that even. Right now I have a young roo, recently changed his name from Betsy to Dyson, he is 12 weeks old. He's mating the hens and doing well with it; whenever he can without getting caught by the older roos.

The matings cannot cause a pullet to start laying though. They will lay when Mother Nature says it's time and not a second before. However, you may see the roos paying more attention to pullets that are getting close to the point of lay.

My older hens recently lost their rooster. They obviously miss him and they'll squat for me now (they didn't used to). As far as the other roosters and cockerels are concerned though, my big girls are equally opportunity butt kickers. The younger roosters are terrified of them. One big girl will let Dyson try, but then she kicks his butt for good measure.

4. Larkin

Aug 10, 2010
    Northern Wisconsin
    I noticed too that the hens missed their rooster, they would squat for my son who is 8! He loved it and would rough up their backs and tell people that he mated them! I had to tell him to quit telling people that, "you are NOT mating them, you are petting them!" Gotta love kids!

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:[​IMG]

6. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    Quote:That's funny!!! I worry about the things my kids say too. They are 6 & 9, and haven't had the "official" birds and bees talk yet. However I've had to explain how chicks are made, (from rooster magic [​IMG]) and they understand the process.... so...I'm just waiting for the phone call from school one of these days...... [​IMG]

7. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    Quote:That's funny!!! I worry about the things my kids say too. They are 6 & 9, and haven't had the "official" birds and bees talk yet. However I've had to explain how chicks are made, (from rooster magic [​IMG]) and they understand the process.... so...I'm just waiting for the phone call from school one of these days...... [​IMG]

[​IMG] @ "rooster magic." I love that!

Also, I swear my 4 week old OEGB rooster tried to mate my hand the other day. He loves to fly up on my hand and sit, but a couple morning's ago, he flew up on my hand, pinched my arm, and I swear he squated like he was trying to do that rooster magic. I was just like [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  8. justacouplemorechicks

justacouplemorechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Kentucky
    Quote:
    Oh, I got the school phone call myself..... My son (now 16) was in preschool & 4 yrs old. My husband (now my ex) and his father have a dairy farm. At preschool one day the teacher read a book about a cow & her baby calf. Another child asked the teacher "where do baby calves come from?" The teacher attempted to give the kids a really vague answer like "the mommy cow and the daddy cow are in love...." My son looks right at her and says "there ain't a daddy cow. Its called a bull and they ain't in love." He then explained to the entire class EXACTLY HOW baby calves are made. The teacher was trying to cover his mouth with her hand to make him quit talking. I not only got a phone call from the teacher that day but several parents called that night as well.
    You just don't realize what kids see and absorb. Talk about embarrassed!![​IMG]

9. Stingrayg4

Stingrayg4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Quote:Nothing to be embarrassed about. Farm kids learn about the facts of life by just witnessing what happens naturally. For some reason a lot of parents think it's a better idea to shelter their kids from everything. My wife of nearly 20 years and I have never had any children so I'm certainly not an expert on which way is better, but in my opinion, you're the one who's doing it right.

-S

10. NickyPick

NickyPick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    I've yet to see my cockeral, The Rock, who is 17+ weeks, do a dance for anyone. He just attacks the girls as they walk by. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by