Baby rooster identification?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by me2pl, Sep 10, 2011.

1. me2pl

me2pl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2011
    Chico, California
    YEAAAAAAAH!!! the chicks we ordered in march finally shipped. . . but how we tell if we got a rooster or not? Our only experience with baby roosters was with a silver seabright roo, which has the same plumage as the hens. any ideas?

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    To identify roosters, you'll look at the comb and wattles (which will be bigger and redder) and the hackle and saddle feathers (which are long and stringy on boys, as opposed to short rounded feathers on girls). With some colors (like partridge for example), males will have a completely different feather pattern than girls. And in my opinion, males feather patterns are more flashy and vibrant (they have to look their best to attract all those lovely ladies!). Good luck, there always the what breed or gender section, and lots of knowledgeable folks who love guessing games!

3. me2pl

me2pl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2011
    Chico, California
    thank you for the help, how about some cuuuuute chicken photos?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. mr.mc.

mr.mc. Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Indiana
    AAWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    I haven't had a lot of experience with identifying roosters but in the chicks I have had for the last couple of years, the roosters have always had thicker legs, even as chicks.

6. cheapsk8

cheapsk8 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2011
    Hillsville VA.
    If you go to youtube and type sexing chickens you will see a video showing how the professionals sex them in hatcheries. Basically by primary feather patterns on the wings.. Hens are uneven. Roosters are even.

7. wayne1614

wayne1614 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    When we ordered at the end of may we received a free chick and 15 weeks later it has a huge comb and it crows! The only way I wasa told is when there just hatched there Vent checked by professional and even then. They only guarantee like 90%

8. jodiea60

jodiea60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Arkansaw
    I have 2 week old chicks....straight run silkies...One is bigger than the rest and has big ole feet and legs that are really fluffy....Our guess is it be a he!!!![​IMG] But they say that silkies are hard to sex and when they crow or lay an egg then you know!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by