Baby Rooster Question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ddcoyne, Apr 12, 2011.

1. ddcoyne

ddcoyne Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    Covington
    I've spent a lot of time over the past week or so reading through the forums here at BYC. I've noticed that many of you more experienced chicken lovers are able to determine whether your babies are boys or girls. When we bought our chicks, we purchased 10 pullets from the feed store. They were running a special and anyone who bought 6 chicks got 6 free chicks from the straight run tub. So, I'm pretty certain we'll have one or more little roosters, and I'm wondering if there's anyway we can tell. I'm suspicious, in particular, about this little one.

[​IMG]

I am thinking he(?) is a Barred Rock maybe, and he(?) seems to be developing a bit of color on his comb and the areas where his wattle will be.

Anyway, I would love any tips or advice on how to determine who among my babies might be a boy. Thanks in advance!

2. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    He looks like a silver laced wyandotte, and I think you are right, it's a he.

This is what he may look like when he is older, this is a silver laced wyandotte roo:

[​IMG]

3. ddcoyne

Apr 5, 2011
    Covington
    Yes, that is the breed I meant to type. I think one of my others is a Barred Rock! Sorry! What makes you think he might be a he?

4. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Males will feather out sparsley, not all the time, but sometimes, and he has alot of red in his comb for being so young.

5. ddcoyne

Apr 5, 2011
    Covington
    It's so much fun watching them grow. This has been a first time for me. I think I'm enjoying it more than my kids. I've been so eager to see their feathers coming in and watching their behavior with one another and with us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by