Baby Rooster Starting to Crow

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by weebles&wobblesmom, Aug 7, 2011.

1. weebles&wobblesmom

weebles&wobblesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    1 of my Bantum roosters is trying to crow. The first time I heard him, I thought something was eating them. It sounded so "sick"....LOL I watched him the other day and he is so cute. He sits up as tall as he can, looks like he's this big tough "man" and this noise comes out.....[​IMG]. I couldn't help but laugh.

This is my first time with chickens and ducks and I never realized how much fun they could be.

2. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Haha Im still waiting on my little bantam roo to crow!! Actually I have two in seperate pens that are the same age!

What breed of bantams do you have??? [​IMG]

3. weebles&wobblesmom

weebles&wobblesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Sounds bad but I'm not sure what kind they are. I got them because people ordered them from the store I work at and then didn't want them. I only ordered 6 barred rock chicks and 1 Pekin duckling for myself, but I ended up with 42 chicks and ducklings total. I know I have some booted bantams and I have some with little breads (they are so cute). I also have 7 Pekins, 2 fawn runners, 4 white rocks, 5 Polish (2 black with white, 2 gray/black and 1 all white), 2 cornish cross (which was "suppose" to have been eaten at 6 weeks but I couldn't do it) and I ended up with 11 barred rock. I did have some of my bantams die when I first brought them home.

For my first time ever having chickens, I got a much bigger flock than I wanted but they are fun.

My first Pekin was sickly and the store wasn't going to give it to the people who ordered it so I brought her home. (I'm a HUGE sucker for animals). Happy to say, she didn't die. She was 4 days old when I got her and she's now 19 weeks.

I am loving this whole raising poultry. I want to be able to sell the eggs, since I am going to have so many, but I am a little worried about not knowing if they're good. People now a days are sue happy and that scares me. Been doing research on how to tell when eggs are bad but it still worries me.

4. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    weebles&wobblesmom :

I only ordered 6 barred rock chicks and 1 Pekin duckling for myself, but I ended up with 42 chicks and ducklings total. I know I have some booted bantams and I have some with little breads (they are so cute). I also have 7 Pekins, 2 fawn runners, 4 white rocks, 5 Polish (2 black with white, 2 gray/black and 1 all white), 2 cornish cross (which was "suppose" to have been eaten at 6 weeks but I couldn't do it) and I ended up with 11 barred rock. I did have some of my bantams die when I first brought them home.

For my first time ever having chickens, I got a much bigger flock than I wanted but they are fun.

Chicken math strikes again! [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. krissteff

krissteff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Tennessee
    FORTY-TWO?????
    [​IMG]

Ohmygoodness. That's a lot for a first flock. And here I thought I was on the brink of chaos with SEVEN!! [​IMG]

I'm slightly irritated by the people who ordered carelessly. I mean, I'm glad you could take them because nobody should have an animal they don't want due to risk of neglect, but it sure was irresponsible of them not to know what they were up for before ordering, leaving the store having to find a home for all of those chicks.
    You are going to need a storage building for as many eggs as you're going to get.

I frequented a nearby feed store knowing they had "over ordered." It was self-inflicted pain going in there to look and not taking them all home with me, so I totally understand your commitment. You're in for a wild ride!

How old are the chicks?

6. Gullygarden

Gullygarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    do yo have a lot of space?

7. lroth217

lroth217 Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2011
    Lemont, IL
    Quote:I am with you krissteff!! I have 9 and I am constantly counting heads (for no logical reason really).

You, weebles&wobblesmom, are a Saint. I would love to have a whole bunch of rescued chickens but as of now we don't have the room. My dh wants to (someday) buy more land and have a "Hobby Farm" so maybe then.

8. mathesonfarm

mathesonfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2010
    New York
    weebles&wobblesmom :

2 cornish cross (which was "suppose" to have been eaten at 6 weeks but I couldn't do it)

I have 4 Cornish X Rocks that were supposed to be eaten and we couldn't do it, either because out of all the baby chicks that we had, they were the sweetest! We would bring them all outside and let them run around and the Cornish Xs would come over and hope up on our feet that were daggling in the air because we had our legs crossed and they would just hang out with us! We called my oldest daughter, The Chicken Whisperer because they would come up to her and put their heads up and wanted her to pet them under their heads on their necks! THEN we found out some horrible news...their life span is only about 1 year! Mine are about 4 months old now. I was told that their combs will start to turn purple and then you would know that they are about to die so I decided that when that time came, I wold cull them...wrong...then she told me that when their combs are turning purple, it's because they are suficating and in all reality, suffering! :0( And, she said that you cant cull them and expect good meat when this starts to happen because there bodies start producing and sending out big clumps of fat as a last survival attemp...or something like that. I was and am heartbroken but I know that when we finally cull them, that at least they had a great life and didnt come from some chicken mill or something, you know. Im sorry if you didnt want to know this or if it was too much info, just thought that maybe you would want to know so you are prepared or if you want to decide to cull them. We decided to cull our, just havent done it yet because we love them so much [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  9. reltsrew

reltsrew New Egg

Apr 10, 2011
    I have a 17 week RIR Rooster starting to crow. Whenever he crows, it sounds like something is stuck in his throat. He crowed and immediately afterwards one of my Buff Orpingtons roos of the same age jumped up on a log and showed him how its supposed to sound![​IMG]

10. mathesonfarm

mathesonfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2010
    New York
    Oh yeah, and my only rooster is a Cornish X and he started crowing about 2 weeks ago...It woke me up and I thought there was something wrong with one of my children, so I jumped up but realized that all of my children had wondered in the bed with us sometime throughout the night and they were all still sound asleep. So I chalk it up to, I was just dreaming. Then all of the sudden I heard it again! I jumped up and ran to my window and saw my roo trying to crow! I laughed so hard! He still cant do it quite right, lol. My God-mother and I decided it sounded more like he was laughing than crowing, when he first started, lol.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by