baby rooster

eggygirl60

In the Brooder
Nov 17, 2017
As I have posted before I bought 16 chicks in October that were suppose to be pullets. Well we all know that chicken sexing is not 100%. This morning I went out to open up my hen house when one of my little (8 weeks old) "pullets" crowed at me! To be honest, I already figured out he may be a rooster when I noticed his comb was bigger and darker in color than the other chicks and already had waddles and the others didn't. Also let's not forget about the cocky "I'm
not afraid of anything" attitude he has. He is a buff orpington and what I have read about them he is going to be huge. Hope he doesn't hurt my girls from him being so heavy. I feel sorry for them cause my late husband was built like Santa(and looked like him). I would like to hear from anyone who has a big rooster who can give any advise on my keeping this roo or re-homing him.

Some large roosters are good breeders, and some are clumsy oafs. Only time will tell which group he falls into. As far as his temperament, it sounds as if he is already a little cocky. Treat him as a chicken not a pet so that he learns to respect the boundaries between him and you. Pet/coddled roosters are among the most likely to become human aggressive.

As I have posted before I bought 16 chicks in October that were suppose to be pullets. Well we all know that chicken sexing is not 100%. This morning I went out to open up my hen house when one of my little (8 weeks old) "pullets" crowed at me! To be honest, I already figured out he may be a rooster when I noticed his comb was bigger and darker in color than the other chicks and already had waddles and the others didn't. Also let's not forget about the cocky "I'm
not afraid of anything" attitude he has. He is a buff orpington and what I have read about them he is going to be huge. Hope he doesn't hurt my girls from him being so heavy. I feel sorry for them cause my late husband was built like Santa(and looked like him). I would like to hear from anyone who has a big rooster who can give any advise on my keeping this roo or re-homing him.
If given proper attention the sweetest roosters ever. I had the exact same thing happen to me . My rooster supposed to be hen crowed at six weeks. He’s my avatar at 9 months he’s 8 lbs.

Back
Top Bottom