Baby roosts

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by embkm, Mar 22, 2009.

1. embkm

embkm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Colbert, Ga
    For a roost in my chicks brooder, could I just use a length of 2x2? Or I could go out in my woods and get a branch or 2, but how would I sterilize it? Which would be better?

2. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    I use a dowel rod in mine. You can get all different sizes at Lowes, Home Depot, or craft stores. If you use a tree branch, just try to find a straight one. I wouldn't worry about sterilizing it.

3. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Both are fine, no need to steralize. But really chicks dont need a roost in the brooder. [​IMG]

4. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    I put a stick in the brooder when the peeps are about a week old. Some of them really seem to enjoy it. I don't sterilize it.

[​IMG]

5. amarook

amarook Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    Wellsburg
    I did the same for mine!

6. lindseythefork

lindseythefork Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Humboldt County, CA
    Stick whatever you have in there and see if they use it.. if so, then hooray! Also, I wouldn't worry about sterilizing a branch (just don't use one that has a bunch of say, bird poop on it). My chicks have a dowel and they use it all the time.

7. embkm

embkm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Colbert, Ga
    Thanks everyone! I have a few pieces of 2x2 that were left over from other projects that I might use. I know they don't really need it yet, but I have 6 that are about a week old and 4 that are 3 days old. They are starting to play leap frog over the each other so I thought I'd give them something to jump up on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by