Baby Rottweiler Dang is 21 days old. (CUTE WARNING)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Redyre Rotties, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Redyre Rotties

Redyre Rotties Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    Yep, he's the only one. Hence his name. :D

Someone once told me if it's the right one, you only need one.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    and you have him spoiled already. heheh

3. Redyre Rotties

Jul 8, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    But of COURSE he is! :D

22 days.

[​IMG]

with his grandmother, and his cousin Giggles.

[​IMG]

With gramma Penny.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    OMG he is so totally cute! I want to get a pair of them lol. How do the rottie temperments do around chickens? I have been seriously thinking about getting one or perhaps two.

5. Redyre Rotties

Jul 8, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    I would not recommend this breed unsupervised around ANY livestock. This breed commonly has high prey drive. High prey drive is often a sought after trait in working type dogs, as it makes most dogs easier to train in obedience and other working activities. This is instinctive behavior, and while it can be managed with training and fencing, it should always be assumed that it is intact in a Rottweiler.

While they are wonderful dogs, they are quite territorial, and must be securely fenced at any time when they are not being directly supervised.

My sales agreement specifies that the dog must be kept in a secure and locked enclosure when outdoors.

I also recommend to people that they separate their dogs in ages by at least 3 years. Caring for one older geriatric dog of this size is enough for most people.

Same sex pairs are not advised, as same sex aggression in this breed is also not uncommon. In this breed, if dogs decide to fight, it is a deadly serious and very dangerous event. This type of aggression is very unusual towards dogs who don't live in the home, but dog aggression is a trait of this breed, and it needs to be properly managed and directed if it begins to manifest in a young dog.

There are health issues in this breed which all responsible breeders screen for. Expect any breeder to be sending in hip, elbow, eye, and heart status to the OFA. Any Rottweiler being used for breeding should have a CHIC number from the Canine Health Information Center. See more information at the OFA's website at http://www.offa.org

Also, find breed information at the American Rottweiler Club's website at http://www.amrottclub.org

:)

6. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Hi, thanks for all the good info/links on this breed. We would certainly be doing lots of research before deciding on another dog/s. I would get a female/male pair but do not want to breed them so might spay/neuter. I am thinking about getting one at a time so I can train them individually.
    We had a German Shepherd who was a loving member of our family which we purchased from a reputable breeder and was fully trained. He was such a great dog and very loyal. He was quite aged when he passed and had ended up with hip problems. I cannot bring myself to get another GSD at this point. He was very good with our poultry and cats and 2 parrots and our little pom who lived to age 12. He was raised with them and showed no aggression towards any of them.

I do agree about not trusting any kind of animal 100% and leaving them unsupervised. Both my parents are malpractice/accident injury attorneys so I am always aware and wary of leaving pets unsupervised or somewhere that they can escape from and cause harm or property damage, even if unintentional, especially with larger breeds that many people have a generalized fear of - just not a smart thing to do lol. We have been on the receiving end of neighbor dogs coming onto our property, digging under fences etc. It's no fun.
    We have several acres which is mostly fenced now (except right around the front of the house) and a separate fenced kennel with lots of running space. We are planning to move to a much larger property soon so will not be getting another pet until after that is completed but I am in the planning stage now.

My grandfather had a rottie that he adopted from a shelter and she was such a great dog. She looked like a purebred rottie but the shelter had no info on her except that she had been a stray or abandoned- so could have been mixed. We kinda suspect she may have been mixed with something because she was a little on the small size but I guess it could have been from poor nutrition before he got her. She loved to sit by my grandfather and have his coffee break with him out on the patio in the evenings and listen to the Dodgers game on the radio lol! That dog passed away not long after he did in 1998 and I think it was of a broken heart although she was also quite old at the time. She is one of the reasons I am thinking of maybe getting a rottweiler.

There are a couple rotties that get out and run around in our neighborhood. There are always 2 together. I am not sure who they belong to but one of the other neighbors called the pound and he was holding them for some reason on his property while the pound tried to find out who the owner was (several days). Luckily these 2 were very nice friendly dogs but a lot of people really freaked out.
    There is an auto repair shop about a mile from us and they used to keep a rottweiler as a guard dog on their property at night. One day, I saw it running down the street and people were just scattering. I have no clue if he was really aggressive but called the shop # that was advertised on their sign and let them know their dog was out. I knew he was theirs because of the collar and we used to go to a convenience store near that shop. I have seen that dog running around several times since then and its a shame because he is going to get hit on that busy road and he's a beautiful boy. I'm sure people have called animal control but it keeps getting returned apparently. I haven't seen it in a few mos though.

I will be very thorough of who I buy from, especially here in Florida where there seem to be a lot of puppy mills and unscrupulous breeders.

7. Redyre Rotties

Jul 8, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    I know all the good people in Rottweiler in FL. When you get ready for a puppy, I would be happy to point you in the right direction.

On a lighter note, how about some more cuteness? :D

I photograph puppies a lot in the first 4 months. It helps me make better evaluation decisions down the line in larger litters, and it is always a learning experience.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Redyre Rotties

Jul 8, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    First lessons. He is 27 days old.

[​IMG]