Baby sebastopol not keeping up with siblings (Sick)

Discussion in 'Geese' started by crj, Apr 30, 2011.

1. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I am very knew to geese. I have a pair of sebastopol geese that are close to 2 months old. I'm guessing, I'm not totally sure. My friends geese hatched 6 babies close to 2 months ago. She gave me 2 of them. The mother goose had left the nest when the baby was hatching and got cold when I first got the 2 geese. My friend gave him to me to nurse back to health. He is doing great. Tonight she brought over a little brother that is not doing well. He is not growing like the others, he sound wheezie, sneezes and shakes it's head a lot when falling asleep. The little one look dehydrated so I gave him some watered down Poly-vi-sol. He hasn't had anything to eat with me yet. He shivers as if he is very cold. Once he calms down he seems ok but it takes quite a while for that to happen. I have pictures. He definitely is much younger looking. I'm hoping someone can help me out. BTW, this little one has not been handled or around people. It's been with the parents and other 3 siblings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Not sure if these are white feathers coming in or if there is something wrong. When the eyes are open they do look a little red (around the eye, not the eye itself)

[​IMG]
    This is one of it's siblings that I have. This youngster that was brought over isn't even close to looking like this. I know this baby was fine when it hatched. Same size as all the others. So something has happened since.

I tried checking the little ones ear because he keeps shaking his head. When I touched around the ear he jumped. Makes me thing his ear bothers him but I don't see anything wrong. Just a tuffed of feathers. A little longer on one side but other then that all looks normal.

I have some tetricyline (sp?) that I might give him tomorrow. Like I said before I gave him some watered down vitamins with a syringe earlier just to get some fluid in him. I will do it again in a bit. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  2. crj

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Ok, more things I've noticed. The poor thing seems like it has a stuffed up nose. You would think he is having seizures but I think it's because he can't breath. Once he can breath a little better he will drink. The problem is the gosling gets clogged up right away and it starts all over again. When he is breathing ok he will eat what he can but not enough because again, he gets clogged up. The coloring of the feet and bill are off. It's more like a dark reddish color. To me he is dehydrated like I stated earlier but also starving. How can I get this poor little on breathing better? Sure wish I could rub vics on his check like you would a child.

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    is she away from all the other ducks? I have never had to deal with a duck illness before so please excuse my suggestion as Im more a chicken person ( all though I have 6 ducks). Have you tried letting him swim in the tub to fully clean out its nostrils???? anytime one of my ducks seems crusty ( in Winter time when a pool is just not available) I make sure I bring a tote deep enough filled with water so they can submerge their whole head in-within minutes of splashing and blowing in water they are sooo much better....

4. crj

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Quote:He is away from all the chickens, ducks, geese and turkeys. As a matter fact I have him wrapped in a towel sitting with me. The problem seems to be eating and drinking. You'd think it was all going down the wrong tube. Once the gosling can breath better it wants to eat badly but then it gets all stuffed up again and the struggle starts all over again. I do have a bowl of water deep enough for him to clean out his nose but it's not working.

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:He is away from all the chickens, ducks, geese and turkeys. As a matter fact I have him wrapped in a towel sitting with me. The problem seems to be eating and drinking. You'd think it was all going down the wrong tube. Once the gosling can breath better it wants to eat badly but then it gets all stuffed up again and the struggle starts all over again. I do have a bowl of water deep enough for him to clean out his nose but it's not working.

try a little bath for him-seriously...My ducks have deep water buckets to drink from when they are locked up for the night but its not until they are in a pool that their instincts kick in to completely submerge themselves nostrils and all-slightly warm water bath-????

6. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC

I hate to ask but have you checked it's throat? Sometimes they will get something caught there that acts like a butterfly valve and shuts off under certain conditions. When it is wide open he can breath easy and eat and drink but when it shuts down he is lucky if he can even get enough air to breath. Another reason I ask is that head shaking is often used as a throat clearing action. Wood chips and/or bits of feathers might be there. I must admit that I have never heard of a throat obstruction lasting this long, an hour or two would be more typical, Checking should not be hard to do and if you see one it can be removed fairly easily. However there are diseases that produce long term effects like that And I have no info on treatmemts for them.

7. crj

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Quote:Yes, I was thinking something was caught in it's throat as well. He really struggles to breath at times flipping himself over and over. I have massaged it's throat, tried to feel if anything is stuck. I've put him in a pool and put his head under hoping to clear whatever may be stuck.
    As I look at this youngster I can noy believe he can possibly be the same age as the ones I have. He has got to be 1/3 the size! Is it possible they could be from the same hatch? I Just can't see a goose being stunted that much behind. I also can't figure out how no one has noticed the difference in this baby bird compared to the others. My friend had 6 hatch, I took 2, one was recently killed by a predator leaving 3. It blows my mind. Anyway, I'm still trying to figure out how to make this little goose better. Definitly seems as if something is stuck and I don't know how to check. I'll keep trying. Keep the suggestions coming.

8. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I had one last year that was sickly and rattled when he breathed. I kept him seperate except for the hatchmate he was with when I removed him from the incubator. I tried antibiotics and everything and nothing helped.

Finally when he was about two months old, I noticed his spine was starting to curve severely and had to put him down. I would imagine it was some kind of cystic fibrosis type thing. None of the other babies got sick and I had no other problems. So I would think that it is a congenital thing.

9. crj

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    pips&peeps :

I had one last year that was sickly and rattled when he breathed. I kept him seperate except for the hatchmate he was with when I removed him from the incubator. I tried antibiotics and everything and nothing helped.

Finally when he was about two months old, I noticed his spine was starting to curve severely and had to put him down. I would imagine it was some kind of cystic fibrosis type thing. None of the other babies got sick and I had no other problems. So I would think that it is a congenital thing.

I will keep an eye out for something like that. So far the gosling looks normal other then the color of its feet and beak.​

10. crj

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Any other suggestions for this poor gosling? It is still congested sounding. I don't know what else to do. I feel so bad for it. I don't know if he is clogged and can't shake it out or if something is stuck in it's throat. Otherwise the little guy is normal. I do believe he has developed a complex now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by