baby sebbie died this morning :(

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cherub78, May 7, 2009.

1. cherub78

cherub78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    Central NY
    I have no clue why, but I woke up this morning and one of my baby sebbies had died.
    [​IMG]
    I am so upset. Out of the three that were born last week (this one was 5 days old exactly), I was betting he was the only male I think I had. I think my older (6 week old) is a female as well. This is just based on color-sexing, so maybe not accurate, but still. But regardless of what it was, it is aweful!

I can't figure out what went wrong, but I am miserable right now.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Shanay235

Shanay235 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    WV
    I'm so sorry! [​IMG] Was he acting OK?
    I've got five Seb babies running around here right now and I don't know what I'd do if I woke up to find one gone.

3. cherub78

Aug 5, 2008
    Central NY
    He was running around fine last night when I went to bed. I think he passed just before I got up.

Heat is ok, feed was ok (and not medicated), plently of water (deep enough to clean nostrils), doesn't seem like a prob with his crop being impacted or anything.

I am just clueless and miserable.
    [​IMG]

4. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    Sometimes birds just die... -sigh-

Like my Perdi. [​IMG]
    Fine one minute, walk outside and dead the next.

I didn't cry until we buried her.

5. jjdward

jjdward How bout them DAWGS!

May 4, 2009
    Buchanan, Georgia
    Sorry to hear about the loss of your little guy/gal!![​IMG]
    I bought 50 chickens from Ideal in Dec and they shipped one extra Leghorn. I have since gotten some bantys and some ducks. As of today I haven't lost but one ( leghorn). It was the same thing, fine one minute and gone the next. Good luck with the rest!! [​IMG]

6. cherub78

Aug 5, 2008
    Central NY
    Quote:I couldn't handle the burying part- made DH do it for me. I was already losing it before the "burial".
    [​IMG]

He actually seemed a bit sad as well even though he wanted very little to do with the critters after I ordered the last batches of hatching eggs. Maybe DH was just sad because I was so upset -how does that go- "when mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy".

So far, the other 2 newer sebbies (6-7 days old) and my older (6 wk) sebbie are all doing fine, as are the call ducks also abt a week old. So I guess everyone is right about it just being one of those things. Still, it is very hard to handle, and hard not to think you should have done something differently.
    [​IMG]

7. montcapu

montcapu Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    laingsburg, MI
    I am so sorry about your lost, I had a khaki campbell die like that last year, she was in the brooder for about 5 weeks when I started to take the whole lot outside to check out the weather while hubby and I were finishing up the coop, I put them outside in tall sided no bottom box so they could check out grass, had plenty of water out there, well went out building about 1 hour later I went to check on the box to make sure they were all fine and there he/she was crooked over on teh bottom of the box, was so distraught over losing him
    never knew what happened and he was the only bird I lost throughout my time in the brooder or outside, so birds just die

8. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    My heart goes out to you!!! I have 2 sebbie goslings and I'd just be a mess if it happened to them!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by