baby Serama got stuck

tiki244

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Jan 1, 2008
WestCentralWisconsin
My bantam leghorn hen hatched out one Serama chick. There were 5 other eggs to full term but didnt hatch! Well this Serama is so small the mother could hardly keep track of her. She got 'lost' in the night and I finally found her wedged between the cage bottom and tray on the side. She was cold and could hardly move. The hen is warming her up now but she cannot stand, and I fear that she got hurt somehow. What can I do?

Either you can bring her in with a heat light, give her liquid if she can drink- offer her a drink by dunking her beak in water- make sure its warm, not hot.
Bring mom and chick into house and in a carrier so momma doesn't loose it. Is momma still sitting on the eggs?
If so, bring baby in with heat lamp for the night so you can observe it.

mamma still on two more eggs,,,,,,I will try and get her to drink

eta: O thank Goodness! She is starting to look more like a chick than a squished long blob!!! She cant get her footing though! I think I need something for traction underneath her.

Last edited:
Hope she is doing better. Maybe give her a little pedialyte, it might give her a little strength.

Thank god, sounds like you are doing all the right things, making sure she gets fluids and warm should be enough. See, momma isn't getting off the nest to eat or drink at this point, so that means baby probably isn't either.
I am so pleased that there is a bit of hope!
Take care,
Kel

Hi,
The baby is doing well now. It is a miracle. She looked all squished and was on her back, I did'nt think she was going to malke it. Now she is running around and I took the 2 eggs away from mamma so she can spend all her time with the little baby. Sorry it took me so long to get back. I just got in from outside. Thanks for your concern and quick response
smile.png

eta;Ahhh! Mamma just killed a daddy long legs and is showing the baby how to eat it!

Last edited:
OMG, I am sooo glad....goood momma keep eating those bugs! Can't help but love a happy ending, thank you for keeping us informed! At some point you will have to share pics with us! ~kel

Back
Top Bottom