Baby showgirls with leg problem

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by verthandi, Jul 17, 2007.

1. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    2 of the showgirls that hatched two days ago had curled toes. I made a shoe for each of them and the toes are fine now. I also made the hobble for each of them as they were not using one leg well and it was slightly out to one side. (same leg that had curled toes)

They still aren't using one leg well, infact have decided hopping and holding the problem leg up works okay. Now what to do? They both can use the leg when they lower themselves down to nap, and seem to be able to put some weight on it, but don't want to walk on it.

I did start them on vitamins today too.

2. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I would leave the hobble on for a week or so until they use both legs normally.

3. verthandi

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    Have you seen this hopping thing happen with straddle leg? I have been so lucky in the past with my polish, I have never had hatch problems with the chicks.

It's pretty discouraging as they are such cute little things. I think it bothers me more to watch them, than it is bothering them.

4. verthandi

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    This is the stance that I am getting with this chick. I have tried the hobble just above the foot and just above the hock. Above the hock was horrible, the chick just flung itself all over the place and couldn't keep itself upright.

Strips of vet wrap are the only thing that will stay on and not stick to their down.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. peepsnbunnies

peepsnbunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    Central Florida
    I had silkie hatch with spraddle legs and I asked for help on this site. Bayou Chica told me of a site that told how to fix spraddle legs and it worked great. Looks like you are doing the exact thing as I did for my little chick. Although my chick did not hold his leg up like yours is doing. The other thing I did with my chick was "Chickie Physical Therapy". Several times a day I would hold the chick in my hand on its back and do little pushes with his legs, and massaging his little thighs between my finger and thumb. I figured the spraddle leg thing was muscular and massaging helps muscles. Good Luck

Lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by