Baby silkie help! PLEASE!!

AdrienneATX

Hatching
May 24, 2016
Hello, we just got a flock of new baby chickens (6). We have an older flock (4) that are about a year old, so this is the second time we have raised baby chicks. Still new at this! We have one silkie baby that has not grown, can hardly walk, and uses her wings to balance her. She can barely stand also. She is one week and one day old. The others are flourishing! We have separated her from the others as she was getting trampled. Yesterday we started her on sav-a-chick. She is still so weak. She eats and drinks fine, her poop is normal. The problem is she is so weak that we have to help her eat and drink. Please help!!!! Thanks!

So far you are doing everything right. There are more experienced people on here that may have an idea of what's wrong. you may also try post under emergency and health issue forum. Good luck and for now just try to keep her eating and drinking.

Good Evening!

Silkies are known to be not very hardy compared to other chickens, but I don't think this is the case. I had two silkies that where chicks, one Matured fairly fast and the other was living the same condition as yours. Fortunately, she eventually grew up and was healthy and fine. In other words don't be too scared, she might be a late bloomer, if she is eating and drinking then I wouldn't worry. If you do want to speed up the process you can put the brooder lamp closer to her or offer a full bowl of food and water 24/7. If this advice dosent work your chick might be stressed, if your silkie is stressed, find out what is stressing her. You'll know when she is stressed when she has the illness pasty butt a lot or chirps loudly all the time.

Hopes this helps!
Sunshine Ducky

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom