Baby silkie humping? **Now with pics pg2!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CityGirlintheCountry, Dec 14, 2009.

1. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    So one of my sweet 7 week old silkie babies has started "humping" me when I pick it up. I swear it is doing the rooster move when I pick it up and hold it on my palms. Does that mean it is a baby rooster or is it just confused? I'd post pics, but let's face it, silkies all look alike.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Never had one do that, but maybe someone else has experience and can help.

3. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Did you raise it with that dog in the avatar? [​IMG] I'm sorry, that really wasn't helpful. [​IMG] Let me at least make an attempt...I wonder if it is just excited to see you..I mean happy to be picked up and given attention? I really don't know.

4. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Too strange!

Can you post a video of that? For informational purposes... [​IMG]

5. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    I couldn't help but laugh...

6. Countrywife

Countrywife Corrupted by a Redneck

Aug 20, 2009
    Carolina
    danged if I know, but thanks for the visual!

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Since adult male chickens almost always do at least a bit of a dance before hopping on, I suspect that you are jumping to conclusions. [​IMG] Pet quality silkies mature much more rapidly than SQ ones, but still, 7 weeks is early. And crowing should appear before mating behavior in any case.

And silkies do NOT all look alike [​IMG]

8. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Let's see if I can answer all your questions-

- Yup. These babies have been watching the dogs, including the one in my avatar. Sadly, the one in the avatar is the humpee and not the humper around here. [​IMG]

- Hmmm... a video. I can see it becoming an instant YouTube success and wildly successful here on BYC. Sadly, as the baby is sitting on both of my palms I'm not sure I have the dexterity to film as well. Too bad. There goes my 15 minutes of fame.

- Sonoran, these are the babies I got from Jack Ferguson and they have the potential to be show quality. They are of the same parentage that produced his Reserve National Champion at the last ASBC meet. I haven't shown them yet as they are babies, but they are show quality, I guess. [​IMG]
    Nobody has crowed yet and no dancing either. I guess this one is just happy to see me. [​IMG]

And you are right, silkies don't all look alike. What I should have said is that the gender is really hard to determine by looks alone with most silkies until they are substantially older. [​IMG]

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    [​IMG] (in my defense, there are a lot of folks who tease and say bad things about silkies [​IMG] )

I think your chicklet just likes you [​IMG]

10. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    No worries, Sonoran. I am firmly in the Silkie Camp. I love the little suckers and am pleased as punch to have these new buff babies. I think they are the cutest things. I've never had show quality silkies before and I find that they just get prettier and prettier. [​IMG] I'll try to get pictures for you now that they have passed that awkward pin feather stage. The baby in question is always the first to the door when I come bearing treats and has learned to sit happily in my hands. Sweet, sweet, sweet!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by