Baby Silkie lost.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ESofVA, Sep 18, 2012.

1. ESofVA

ESofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Keller, VA
    Lethargic, sniffles and it didn't twist its head or neck back and no other motor impairment (could walk straight, everything normal) except her head would track to the right. Then it would bring it back No stopping when it tracked, just an even movement. She got the sniffles after being vaccinated for IB and they never went away.
    I fed it by hand for 3 days and kept it on a heating pad in the house, but then she died one night. It was totally able to get off the heating pad, I had it on low, but it was content to sit on it. When I picked her up,m she could flap her wings. Inner ear maybe? Please don't tell me something that is bad and contagious.

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Did it look like wry neck?

[​IMG]

Sounds like the vaccine was the cause. When I vaccinated for ILT I had a lot of eye swelling and closing in the eye the vaccine was put in. If that happened to my own, it is very possible that the sniffles were from the vaccine.

3. ESofVA

May 4, 2012
    Keller, VA
    No, my first thought was wry neck because I read on here about that, but its neck didn't twist, it just tracked to the right side evenly and the it would track right back. Its head didn't stop until it moved back over into normal position
    Sortof like if you were watching a car go by. Turning your head to watch and then turning back.

4. aoxa

That could still be wry neck.

5. ESofVA

May 4, 2012
    Keller, VA
    OK, I read some more about wry neck. That is the only chick I had from that breeder so maybe I won't have to worry about the other chicks I have in with it.
    Forgot to mention that it was also on Tylan along with the others as recommended by company to reduce side effects of the vaccine.
    There are 3 other Silkie chicks in that pen along with 5 Faverolles and 4 Cochins. Hubby told me this am I had lost another...he doesn't know which one except it was gray and had feathers on its legs..I have 1 Silkie and 2 Cochins in there gray.
    No idea what the problem was with it and I won'y be returning home until Sunday.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  6. ESofVA

May 4, 2012
    Keller, VA
    Could have been a head injury to the 1st chick...they go out into the outside yard during the day. Their pen is within the large pen but they all go in and out during the day.

OH.... I vaccinated them about 3 weeks ago.

I better go eat...I don't get anything else after breakfast except Miralax until I finish getting tests at the hospital tomorrow! YUCK!!!!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  7. aoxa

Wry neck can be caused by head injury, especially in silkies.

Usually if they pass it is because they weren't eating (due to the wryneck).

Why did you vaccinate? Is it mandatory? Maybe it was too strong of a vaccine for their age...?

8. ESofVA

May 4, 2012
    Keller, VA
    I vaccinated because some of the first chickens I bought came with IB which of course spread. That was a disaster. Now I vaccinate all new ones so they won't catch anything just in case!
    The vaccine was administered through 1 drop in the eye for chicks/chickens at 2 days and up. Mine were 2 weeks or older when they received the vaccine.
    Needless to say, I am scared to death of the possibility of any more disease coming in!! I also lost 5 chicks to coccidiosis after I bought them. At least they could be in quarantine before adding them to what I now have.
    I can't wait until I can get a stable flock of chickens with the breeds I want and not have to think of buying any more! After that if I want any, I will purchase eggs!!

9. aoxa

I'm so sorry you had to go through that :(

We vaccinate only for ILT here, as it is a reportable disease. They will come and kill your flock if they get it, but will replace them with 2/3 of the cost from a negative ILT flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by