Baby silkie questions!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Elizabeth7987, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Elizabeth7987

Elizabeth7987 Just Hatched

Jun 20, 2017
    hello, I hope no one minds me asking a few questions about my babies here...I tried to look at older threads but due to rain my wifi is down and my phone only has a limited amount of data...and well I'm impatient and want to learn as much as I can about my new little girls!

First I want to say I did research about raising chicks a few times over the last few years so I'm pretty knowledgeable about that...what I want to know is how can I keep them stimulated while they grow until they can go outside?

They are super curious already, but I worry without stimulation they will be bored so what types of things are safe for them? I've seen threads about mirrors, small roosts, etc but I also see that you need to be careful with sillies...so can anyone offer any ideas?

Right now my girls are only 2 weeks old but I already see them pecking here and there, it's adorable and I'm in love! I want to be sure I am doing the best by my new little feathered nuggets so they can grow to be the happiest they can be <3

2. Angie NS

Angie NS Just Hatched

Jun 3, 2017
    Nova Scotia
    I find that if you concentrate on the mama hen, if you have one, the chicks will follow. Give her a dirt bath and they will learn by watching her, or a small, low perch to start practicing on, along with some nice scratching material in a tray to find some chick feed in.... here's my silkie chick mama sitting on her nest:)

Attached Files:

3. Silkie nerd

Silkie nerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2017
    Ask me any questions and I will answer my best

4. Silkie nerd

Silkie nerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2017
    And adorable picture

5. NW Chickadee

NW Chickadee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2017
    Spokane, WA
    Help! I have 2 - 1.5 wk Black Silkie chicks. I'm have an absolute big phobia!

While holding my Silkies, these non-moving, non-alive black flakes have come off. They're paper thin, really nothing to them, in diff shapes & sizes, yet all relatively small. Could these be dead mites? Is it something to do with new feathers coming in? Ugh....I'm afraid to hold them. I've searched them head to toe, wing to vent and can't see a single bug!

If anyone has any ideas, I'd so appreciate it!

(1st pic is a super close up, 2nd shows size in relation to waterer)

Thanks so much!

IMG_1834.JPG IMG_1836.JPG

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by