baby silkie - stuck eyes - infectious

jjaazzy

Songster
11 Years
Mar 2, 2013
Davie, Fl
I hatched out my 2nd set of chicks in my brand new GFQ incubator. BTW loving it. One little chick after putting in the brooder I noticed it breathing heavy and it was the smallest of the group. I assumed it needed to recover from the hatch and maybe the egg shell exit was harder then it should have been. I then noticed a few days later the eyes were stuck closed. I am no stranger to this as having an order of shipped baby Polish a few of them had same issue and it required daily un-sticking and they eventually grew out of that issue after I guess a week to 10 days. So I was not alarmed when this chick came up with the sticking eye problem.
But today... different story after soaking the eye with wet cotton ball I proceeded to unstick the lids. all this infectious liquid came out on the one side.... Ugggh.. I am grossed out to say the least.
So I just got in an order of Eye drops for all the living creatures that are in and around my house.
Here is what I have ..
Moxicip .05, Azithromycin 1% and Norflocin 0.3% Which one should I try? I am thinking Azithromycin only cause its a name I recognize. But would like someones educated opinion. I am thinking one tiny drop today.. then wait till tomorrow for another.
I have antibiotics for respiratory issues on order but I could go get some Terramycin today if someone things I should medicate all the birds. No one else shows signs of issue but now that this infectious liquid poured out...AHHHH.. I don't know what I am dealing with now.
It is very possible that I made matters worse with my water cotton ball soaks, I probably should have boiled the water and cotton ball first.
BTW I just checked every ones breathing and all is normal now, I don't think I need to treat for respiratory. Little infected eye chick is chirping and not happy. Neither am I.
Help and TIA Going to put some vitamins in the water a bit just to give them all a little nutrition boost.

I would clean the eyes with saline and cotton. Use an antibiotic drop that treats E.coli, since that is a common infection during a hatch. You may need to check with your vet about which one to use.

Good idea the saline and I will check about the e.coli.. little guy looks better tonight. Meaning his eyes are still open. So I hope this helps the little guy. Thanks.

Very sad to report the little guy didn't make it. The other three are looking strong and healthy. Just wanted to give an update as so many of these threads leave you hanging.

Back
Top Bottom