Baby silkie with hip/leg problem

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by psycoforsilkies, Jan 18, 2012.

1. psycoforsilkies

psycoforsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2011
    East central Texas
    This Silkie baby is about 3-4 weeks old, it was given to me because of the leg problems i tried taping like in splay leg but the leg is turned out more in a semi fixed placement. the taping didnt really help. She does get around ok in an awkward kind of way. It almost seems as though the hip is deformed in the way the leg bone fits in the socket. it is causing the poor thing to rub it's bottom raw in some places. going to fix up a differant brooder for it today . and put that rubber like shelf liner down.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Lordy, I hate seeing things like that...poor baby. I think you're right. It does look more like a deformity. The rug skid pads are great. They're soft and you can just shake out and then toss in the washer to clean them.
    Some would advise culling the little thing. I look at quality of life. If he/she seems content and pain free, then I would just let it be. But if its quality of life isn't too good due to the deformity (or whatever it is), I would cull (actually I'd have to get my husband or a vet to put it down, because that would break my heart). It's a cutie pie other than the leg...

3. psycoforsilkies

Oct 23, 2011
    East central Texas
    i have tried several times at taping the leg but if you try to move the leg forward to the correct position, there is alot of resistance being that you can feel that the pelvic structures seem to be slightly pointed back causing the leg to be turned that way, a friend gave her too me cause i am home all the time with my animals and she cannot be thier all the time. i moved her to a differant brooder today lined with the rubber shelf linner like rug backing stuff so if she does scoot on the floor which she walks some times and scoots others, she doesnt rub the skin raw which she had int he other brooder. cleaned her up and put some salve on her bottom. and put 2 of her friends in with her so there wont be competition for food or water. she doesnt seem to be in pain and as long as she has her friends and hobbles around with them all. Will just have to wait and see how she does. i hate to put her done if she is comfortable and growing. i have areas outside where she can be and be happy, or i may just keep her inside her with me.

4. psycoforsilkies

Oct 23, 2011
    East central Texas
    update on my little Gimpy it was an affectionate name, well we tried helping her for a good while, and then I found just a few days ago a wonderful wildlife rehab lady who works with a vet and she Adopted Gimpy and her and the vet are working with gimpy to fix her deformed legs and she is doing great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by